Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Established Member.. Adam Garsha
Established Member..

glance adviser syntax file

Jump to solution
I've got a syntax file for glance to grab out some system metrics.

A greatly over-simplified version of the syntax file looks like this:

process loop {
print gbl_stattime,","proc_proc_cmd
}

I generate a quick report like so:

glance -aos ~/syntax.txt -j 10 > ~/glance.out

Here is the question: How can I tell glance that I want unlimited or super-big column length in the output so that I can get the full "proc_proc_cmd" writen to my text file glance.out instead of the truncated version I am getting now?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor.. Bill Hassell Contributor..
Contributor..

Re: glance adviser syntax file

Jump to solution
To get a long line, set the COLUMNS value temporarily like this:

COLUMNS=150 glance -aos ~/syntax.txt -j 10 > ~/glance.out

The variable assignment is good for glance but reverts to the original value after glance finishes.

You might want to use the extract command rather than glance as it can output a comma delimited file with no line length limit, perfect for spreadsheet imports. Note that extract will give history too (several days) where glance only starts producing stats when you run it.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
2 Replies
Established Member.. Adam Garsha
Established Member..

Jump to solution
note small typo above... example syntax file should be:

process loop {
print gbl_stattime,",",proc_proc_cmd
}
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.. Bill Hassell Contributor..
Contributor..

Jump to solution
To get a long line, set the COLUMNS value temporarily like this:

COLUMNS=150 glance -aos ~/syntax.txt -j 10 > ~/glance.out

The variable assignment is good for glance but reverts to the original value after glance finishes.

You might want to use the extract command rather than glance as it can output a comma delimited file with no line length limit, perfect for spreadsheet imports. Note that extract will give history too (several days) where glance only starts producing stats when you run it.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.