Powerful, event driven communications for distributed systems
The next-generation implementation of the Object Management Group's CORBA Notification Service, OpenFusion Notification Version 5 is a sophisticated event-driven messaging system supporting both guaranteed message delivery ('store-and-forward') and content-based routing.
Version 5 offers dramatically increased message throughput and improved scalability over Micro Focus's market-leading Version 3 release. Together with enhanced management facilities and a modular architecture, Version 5 provides great flexibility for systems designed to grow with business needs.
When to use OpenFusion Notification
Use OpenFusion Notification when you have to solve any of the following problems:
- You want to exploit the flexibility of the message oriented paradigm in a standards-compliant way
- Your applications must handle thousands of events per second between multiple suppliers and consumers
- Your applications need guaranteed once and only once delivery of events
- You need to route messages based on their content
- You need sophisticated control of your messaging software
- Your applications are deployed in diverse hardware and software environments.
OpenFusion Notification can be used in a huge range of applications across all industry sectors. For example, in Telecoms, a common application of OpenFusion Notification is in network management. Alarms and other information produced by switches are sent as messages to alarm management applications and other interested users. Neither the switch manager nor the receiving applications have any direct connection to each other, so they can concentrate on their core tasks without worrying about alarm propagation, receipt nor confirmation. OpenFusion Notification takes care of message delivery and propagation - a fire-and-forget strategy.
In Finance, when a stock feed application needs to connect individually to its client (who may not all even be on-line at any one time), real-time performance suffers and the activities of one client could have direct bearing on all the others. When OpenFusion Notification is used, this restriction is removed and performance is maximized.
The OpenFusion Advantage
OpenFusion Notification is the industry's most widely used implementation of the OMG's Notification Service Specification. Version 5 builds on the performance, scalability, reliability and flexibility of previous versions to offer up to 20 times the throughput combined with superior scalability.
OpenFusion Notification is the ideal basis on which to build an open, standards-based communication infrastructure. It is currently in use in large-scale, mission-critical applications in the defense, aerospace, telecoms, finance, and other sectors, giving customers a firm base from which their systems can expand and adapt to meet future demands.
OpenFusion Notification Version 5 is an implementation of the OMG's Notification Service Specification Version 1.0.1. It supports the features most used by OpenFusion customers, including the following:
- Full Implementation of Generic, Structured and Sequenced Events
- Full Implementation of the Push model of Event Delivery
- Event filtering using the Extended Trader Constraint Language
- Customized filters in the Java™ language
Version 5 supports many of the Qualities of Service defined by the OMG, including:
- EventReliability (Best Effort and Persistent)
- ConnectionReliability (Best Effort and Persistent)
- OrderPolicy (Anyorder, FifoOrder, PriorityOrder, DeadlineOrder)
- DiscardPolicy (Anyorder, FifoOrder, PriorityOrder, Deadline Order, LifoOrder)
- The AdminProperties MaxQueueLength and RejectNewEvents are supported.
Based on customer feedback, Micro Focus has incorporated a number of additional qualities of service, including:
OpenFusion Notification supports channel federation and the Event Type Repository and provides both command line and GUI-based management tools.
Benefiting from OpenFusion's Plug-and-Play Architecture
OpenFusion's unique strength comes from an innovative architecture that guarantees high flexibility through a plug-and-play layer and industrial strength through common scalability and performance oriented functions.
All key resources required by the OpenFusion Notification Service are accesses through generic "plug-in" sockets. This enables complete flexibility through the use of connectors provided with OpenFusion or customizations using open APIs.
- Configurable qualities of service (QoS) for JMX / SNMP-based monitoring.
- Powerful GUI-based management tools to connect and configure and administer object groups.
- ORBs: JacORB 2.3, 3.0; VisiBroker 7, 8
- Databases: Oracle; Sybase
- Operating Systems: Solaris 10; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, 6; Windows XP, 2003, 7
- JVMs: JDK 1.6, 1.7
- Other plug-ins provide access to leading system management, licensing, security and diagnostic products.
- Open architecture for easy addition of new plug-ins to other products.
Performance and Scalability
In tests, OpenFusion Notification Version 5 has been shown to outperform other Notification Service implementations in many configurations. In terms of throughput and scalability, Version 5 offers performance that is many times greater than OpenFusion Notification Version 3 and is suitable for the most demanding applications.
Visit OpenFusion Notification Service web page