Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.

Documents should be there to understand System Management CP in detail like WorkFlow & modification

Documents should be there to understand System Management CP in detail like WorkFlow & modification

Hello Team,

I am using OBR 10.2X version of OBR in my environment and populating a report of near about 21000 servers.

Some times end user ( who consumes the performance report ) asks from where data is coming & unfortunately we do not have details on this except saying data is coming from Operation Agent metrics. Even we do not know which OA metric is feeding data to OBR and to which OOTB table column is mapped In OBR to OA data.

We also do not have any document which guides us on modification of the Existing Content Pack ( SM CP ) i.e. addition of Metric , deletion of metric.

Even work flow in OBR is not documented in detail.

I hope you can understand the difficulties we face in dealing these queries from end user.

Thanks in Advance!

Best Regards

Akshat

6 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Akshat,

There is content pack schema documentation available in the content packs's doc folder, e.g. packages/SystemManagement/CoreSystemManagement.ap/doc, look at the model html & the interface html files there.

There are also CP reference guides, one per each CP, please have a look if it provides some of the information you are looking for.

For getting the mapping of metrics from the report to the corresponding table/column, you have to open the report in edit (design) mode, and then go to the edit query interface, then cilck on "show sql". This will give you the exact table & column names its pulling the fields from.

Above may not solve your complete need, but hopefully it helps you get some of the answers

-Ankit

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

BTW, I just learnt of another utility (shr_utility) that should answer your question. Here's how you run it:

shr_utility -flow -dir $PMDB_HOME/packages/SystemManagement

See below screenshot of the output it generated, which traces the table/column to the corresponding agent metric. Unfortunately I can't attach files here. If you have trouble running this on your system, just email me, and I will send you the output for System Mangement CP.

SM_CP_agent_metrics_mapping.jpg

-Ankit

Valued Contributor.. Akshat_mittal Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Dear Ankit Sir,

Greetings !!!

I hope You are doing good !!!

Highly appreciates your response !!!

I have taken out the model and interface html files from the mentioned folder ( /opt/HP/BSM/PMDB/packages/SystemManagement/CoreSystemManagement.ap/doc ).

CP referrence guide is also downloaded and gone through.

$PMDB_HOME/bin/shr_utility -flow -dir $PMDB_HOME/packages/SystemManagement ==> This command is has produced near about 300 lines which contails all XML files such as given below and it has also generated below  HTML files as well : 

Can you please help me in telling which XML + HTML  files i need to go through for the  ( System Management CP where OA is data source ) ?

Thanks in Advance !!!

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 180K Aug 27 18:41 CoreSystemManagement_metric_mapping.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.4K Aug 27 18:41 SystemManagement_metric_mapping.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29K Aug 27 18:41 CoreVirtualization_metric_mapping.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.4K Aug 27 18:41 VirtualizationVMWare_metric_mapping.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 90K Aug 27 18:41 CoreVirtualizationVMWare_metric_mapping.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.4K Aug 27 18:41 Virtualization_metric_mapping.html

root@OBRRDEVSERVER bin]# shr_utility -flow -dir $PMDB_HOME/packages/SystemManagement
PID:463227
Adding STAGE RULE XML /opt/HP/BSM/PMDB/packages/SystemManagement/CoreSystemManagement.ap/CoreSystemManagement_0_Stage_SR_SM_FILESYSTEM_0_stagerule.xml
Adding STAGE RULE XML /opt/HP/BSM/PMDB/packages/SystemManagement/CoreSystemManagement.ap/DOWNTIME_0_K_SM_PhysicalDisk_0_stagerule.xml
Adding STAGE RULE XML /opt/HP/BSM/PMDB/packages/SystemManagement/CoreSystemManagement.ap/CoreSystemManagement_0_Stage_RSR_OVPA_Global_0_stagerule.xml
Adding STAGE RULE XML /opt/HP/BSM/PMDB/packages/SystemManagement/CoreSystemManagement.ap/CoreSystemManagement_0_Stage_K_System_Metric_DT_0_stagerule.xml
Adding STAGE RULE XML /opt/HP/BSM/PMDB/packages/SystemManagement/CoreSystemManagement.ap/CoreSystemManagement_0_Stage_SR_SM_CPU_0_stagerule.xml
Adding STAGE RULE XML

Best Regards

Akshat

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Already Offered

1. OBR already documents metric mapping for reports in respective content references. For example, for System Performance content, it is available as documented here : https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Bridge_Reporter:10.31.P1/Content_Packs/System_Management/Appendix#AppendixC:MetricMappingforReports

2. Steps to develop/extend content is covered in the documentation of the Content Development Environment (CDE) toolkit - see https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Bridge_Reporter:10.31.P1/CDE/Content_Dev_Guide/Chapter_3/Using_Linux_for_Content_Dev

3. An example of extending System Performance content is also available on the OpsBridge community - see https://marketplace.microfocus.com/itom/content/obr-system-performance-extension-content, which has content source artifacts for illustration with accompanying user guide.

4. Product architecture, workflow, key concepts are covered in concepts guide in former versions, now available online - see https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Bridge_Reporter:10.31.P1/Concepts/Architecture/Platform

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

For SystemManagement schema, use CoreSystemManagement_metric_mapping.html

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.