In OBM Performance Dashboards, allow Direct Definition of Metrics in addition to Topology Views

In OBM Performance Dashboards, allow Direct Definition of Metrics in addition to Topology Views

While the Use of Views for setting up performance dashboards, it can be very limiting.  For instance, We have certain Application Web servers, where we would like to  be able to show the URL Monitors in SiteScope(associated with a business application CI) and Server OS Performance Metrics from the OM agent (Associated with the server) and IIS counters from SiS or OM (associated with IIS).  This isn't currently possible without creating manual Ci Collections which can get to be a real pain in the neck. 

Why wouldn't I be able to do the same thing as we used to be able to do in the old BSM/APM for a "Cross Performance Report" where we were able to specify the Sis Server, the monitors, and the metrics.  We should be able to do that for essentially any source and use more than one source on a fixed dashboard.

Thanks!. 

3 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: New Idea

Hi @Richard Snader ,

Thanks for submitting the idea but I need to understand it better. When you say

"This isn't currently possible without creating manual Ci Collections which can get to be a real pain in the neck. "

What exactly do you mean? Is it not more useful to see a metric trend in the context of the monitored CI? What good is to see the a URL monitor when it cannt tell which CI status is it telling? If the issue is about the need for creating views, then you have the option to use CI explorer component along with PD in which case you dont have to necessarily use the views to select the CIs.

Thanks & Regards,

Moderator, OpsB IdeaX

Honored Contributor.. Richard Snader Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Hi Mgoyal!  Great to Chat with you again!  Let me try to build an senario for you.

Let's consider that I may have sitescope monitors watching some apache hosted websites on Multiple Shared Web Servers.  We are assign those url monitors to the Business Application Ci.

The Apache instances are running on Shared use (multiple applications, hosted on group of web Servers.  The Apache Performance counters, and the Operating System Metrics are associated with the individual Server CI's that they run on.

Now the Client for one of the Many Applications, says, I want to see the URl performance numbers on the same graph dashboard as the performance monitors for the Apache instance and the for the OS Metrics that are coming from OMl.

Assuming that I have the time, I could create a View wrapped around a CI Collection that that pulls in the Application, and it's related URL Monitor Performance values, as well as the Each of the individual servers, that are being used to host that application's web site, and their OS Metrics, and their Apache metrics. 

OR,

I ccreate a dashboard, and add a graph that lets me select a source sitescope server.  I pull down a list, that shows me the list of groups and monitors on that Sis Server, and I can pick from it what I want. 

Now I can add a second graph on that dashboard, that I say get this server, and pick out the om agent monitors for the metrics requested.  I can duplicate that particular graph and change the selection for each of the servers in that host the application.

I know it can work either way, and that using topology views and Ci's/related Ci's etc to make a view, will scale far out better.  That's what we do for Dashboards that are going to be used on a Large Scale in our environment.

Honestly to get the Various relationships to do a single use kind of dashboard takes far to much time, to build for someone.  I know the source of the information I need, I just want to pick and go.  This is most useful in in troublshooting situations.  We get called into a problem management call, and have minutes to get metrics on the screens, not hours to sort through what all is required to get into a view to be able to get the right selections to whos up in the pull downs on the Graph definitions boxes. 

Again, this was very much accessible in the Cross Performance report in BSM, although it it was limited to SiS servers.  I'm thinking that it should be much more widely applied to anything that OMi can pull Metric Data from.

Hope that helps explain what I'm looking for.  If not, call me and we can talk through it more.

Thanks!

Richard!

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

The idea has received an initial review to ensure adherence to our idea submission and community guidelines. More information may be needed at this stage and we expect the community to help prioritize the idea with comments and community support (votes/kudos)..

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.