- Brief Description
- Use "Event From Perl" monitor leveraging built-in "SC.exe" to monitor all Windows Services set to Automatic and return Windows or Service Exit Code to Operator along with Definition to aid in troubleshooting.
- Benefits / Value
- Discovering OS and Application Issues faster and in a more 'one-size-fits-most' way. Using native OS applciation SC.exe versus WMI the queries are more dependable and faster. Rationale is that if a Service is important to be set to Automatic then it should be up and running. Many applications have multiple services that may fail but not immediately affect the applicatino but have long-term ramifications i.e. SQL Agent Service may cause Maintenance Jobs to fail which impact things like Backups failing, leading to Disk Full conditions or worse when main SQLServer.exe fails.
- Design details
- While I already have created this, I would like to have it officiallly supported as part of the product and have my customer know that it is sanctioned and supported. I also would like to see my external text files incorporated into the agents new Unified Database.
- I also used same code to Monitor All Services for Hung Condition and will also Close Original upon returning to normal Operation.
- I am attaching a OneNote that further describes logic and details. Also including the Content Pack as well as the original Perl Code for both scripts (see attached SvcMon.zip).
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.