Kubernetes MP monitoring in OMi

Kubernetes MP monitoring in OMi

Hi Team, this ER is from support case SD02114118. Below are the details:

• Brief Description

We need a OMi monitor for Kubernetes like the one available for Docker.

• Benefits / Value
    Have a fully featured Kubernetes monitoring application.

I think that we are late in Kubernetes monitoring against our competitors (the customer is also evaluating different products to address a fully featured Kubernetes monitoring application as, for example, opensource Grafana+Prometeus).

Kubernetes is the de facto standard in container orchestration and even our product suites are Kubernetes based.

Unacceptable

- Missing of topology creation in OMi
    - Missing of metrics dasboarding in OMi
    - Use of a single console (not OMi + Sitescope) to present data to the user

WORKAROUND:

Use the Sistescope Dynamic Docker Monitor ( via Heapster) but with a very partial coverage of requested features. 

• Design details

Requested features:
- topology creation (Cluster, Namespaces, Pods, Containers, ... and their relationships)
- dynamic update of the topology to follow the changes in Kubernetes
- metrics and alerts
- dashboards

22 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Plan is to have Sitescope support the Kubernetes monitoring, we hope this will meet the requirement.

RamFan54 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hello Mgoyal 🙂

Is the SIteScope monitoring for Kubernetes available now for 11.44 and higher of SiteScope?

Any information as to if there is plans now to have a Management Pack for Kubernetes in OMi/OBM soon?

Any info appreciated!

Thanks,

RAMFAN54

Philip Mendez Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Also interesed in Sitescope monitoring of Kubernetes.   This is a current requirement/capability needed w/i my company.

Thanks.

Super Contributor.

Just curious on status of management pack for Kubernetes.  Micro Focus is actually behind competitors in this monitoring capability.

RamFan54 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Mgoyal,

Is there any udpates on the Kebernetes monitoring via OMi MPs?

Please let me know asap.

Thanks,

RAMFAN54

binuj Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Microfocus needs to be one step ahead in areas like this rather than waiting for someone to raise an idea exchange and waiting for votes to start working on a solution

For example for solution for SCOM where the new versions are released every 6 months microfocus excepts to raise and idea for each new versions and wait for votes. Not sure how many votes are required to start working on the requirement

Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hello Mgoyal,

I'm helping my client to move their existing BSM to OBM. The Kebernetes monitoring via OMi MPs is the key saling point for this project. Could you please let me know when the OBM MP for Kebernetes can be available?

Thanks,

Kevin

Super Contributor.

Any response from MicroFocus on this topic?  This is big gap in OMi/OBM product capability.

Kubernetes monitoring using Prometheus vis SiS is coming up in May. However, we are also looking if we can create either a connector or MP to monitor K8 via Prometheus. This will also help us to cover up the open shift as well.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.