Highlighted
Absent Member.. MilanJ Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Content development - what are required ETLs to get custom OA data

Jump to solution

I am trying to create simple CP to get OA data using CDE v10.01. I prefer to not use simplifiled approach. What are minimal required ETLs to get custom OA data?

I have created, compiled and deployed CP containing core domain + ETLs (PA collection policy ETL + transform ETL + stage ETL) + related orchestration streams. As a result no files related to my CP are collected/created in <PMDB_HOME>/collect directory. The collection policy file exists in <PMDB_HOME>/config/collection_policy directory.

My XML for the policy available in <PMDB_HOME>/config/collection_policy:

<etldefinition type="collect" collector="PA" domain_name="PATestDomain" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="SHRPANamespace schema_PA.xsd" xmlns="SHRPANamespace">
<domain>
<datasource name="SCOPE">
<class name="CPU" summarized="true">
<aliassource>
<aliastarget type="My_Dim" category="XXX"/>
<aliastarget type="My_Fact" category="XXX"/>
</aliassource>
<metric name="BYCPU_ID" datatype="INTEGER" identity="false"></metric>
<metric name="BYCPU_CPU_SYS_MODE_UTIL" datatype="GAUGE" identity="false"></metric>
<metric name="BYCPU_CPU_USER_MODE_UTIL" datatype="GAUGE" identity="false"></metric>
<metric name="BYCPU_CPU_TOTAL_UTIL" datatype="GAUGE" identity="false"></metric>
</class>
</datasource>

</domain>
</etldefinition>

I have also deployed OOTB SM_PA content, I have configured RTSM and PA data sources and OOTB stuff works. My expectation was that the policy above will "re-use" PA nodes from OOTB collections and in addition it will create "*My_Dim*" and "*My_Fact*" files in collect directory for the same node(s) as SM_PA and it will be processed by remaining ETL steps in my CP. This is not happening.

Can you clarify or describe what are necessary ETL files to get custom PA metric to OBR? Do I need UCMDB and/or SN collection policies (which are created by simplified CDE)? Why?

Thanks,

Milan

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Content development - what are required ETLs to get custom OA data

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please ensure that required attributes of CI types(those mentioned in the collection policy) are “enabled” in RtSM.

Open the Topology view in Modeling studio -> click Query Node Properties -> click on Element Layout tab and enable required CI attributes by selecting CI types in left pane and using the “Attributes Condition” dop down as appropriate.

>> For ootb views this is hinted in the “Enabling CI attributes for a Content Pack” section in the OBR Config guide… we are working on adding clarity to the last tab…

Thanks & Regards,

Vineetha

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes - it is necessary to have either a uCMDB(RtSM) or OM SN collection policy in ETLs with OA/PA based data sources.

OBR builds the list of nodes (from wherein to collect the OA fact data) based on the views/node CIs specified in RtSM collection policy or SN policy.

The domain_name attribute in the PA collection policy should be the same domain_name as specified in the corresponding RtSM policy.

Please therefore add an appropriate RtSM/SN policy and recompile your ETL content.

Thanks & Regards,

Vineetha

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Vineetha,

based on your advice I have added RtSM policy, verified to have the same domain_name in both, RtSM and PA collection policies and recompiled ETL. For RtSM policy I am getting the right data from RtSM view in collect directory, but there is "NotFound" intead of CI attribute values. Example:

cat /obr/HP/BSM/PMDB/config/collection_policy/ETL_PATest_CMDB_CollectionPolicy.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<etldefinition type="collect" collector="CMDB" domain_name="PATest" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="SHRSNNamespace schema_CMDB.xsd" xmlns="SHRCMDBNamespace">
<views>
<view name = "CSAS_DB_View">

<citype name="unix">
<ciattribute name="root_class" csvColumnName="host_root_class" datatype="String"/>
<ciattribute name="name" csvColumnName="host_hostname" datatype="String"/>
<ciattribute name="primary_dns_name" csvColumnName="host_dnsname" datatype="String"/>
</citype>

<citype name="oracle">
<ciattribute name="root_class" csvColumnName="xxx_root_class" datatype="String"/>
<ciattribute name="name" csvColumnName="xxx_sid" datatype="String"/>
</citype>

</view>
</views>
</etldefinition>

cat /obr/HP/BSM/PMDB/collect/CSAS_DB_View_0_unix_0_334385923441609.csv
CiType,CiId,GlobalId,SOURCE,SOURCEID,DOMAIN,GROUP,host_root_class,host_dnsname,host_hostname
unix,f349cbbf602a68bfe9b4662845d043fc,NotFound,CMDBCollector,omi.sw.lab,CSAS_DB_View,CSAS_DB_View,NotFound,NotFound,NotFound

See my node in RtSM:

view content and unix CI detailsview content and unix CI details

Any idea what can be wrong to not get attribute values in view CSV file?

Thanks,

Milan

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please ensure that required attributes of CI types(those mentioned in the collection policy) are “enabled” in RtSM.

Open the Topology view in Modeling studio -> click Query Node Properties -> click on Element Layout tab and enable required CI attributes by selecting CI types in left pane and using the “Attributes Condition” dop down as appropriate.

>> For ootb views this is hinted in the “Enabling CI attributes for a Content Pack” section in the OBR Config guide… we are working on adding clarity to the last tab…

Thanks & Regards,

Vineetha

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Vineetha,

you are right and I have got CI attribute values in CSV. One would expect that such thing will be mentioned in relevant place of CDE dev guide. It seems to work now and I have got the expected data in my Dim and Fact tables.

Thanks,

Milan

0 Likes
Jeevitha Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hi Vineetha,

For the OOTB Views ,I have enabled all attributes but still am not getting values since the collection policy I could not see the related attribute

Can I edit the collection policy xml file to get the attributes of CI
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.