Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

APM 9.30 No Agent installed? Agent needed for integrating with OMi 10.11?

I just installed Omi 10.11 and APM 9.30.  I am trying to get them integrated.  The Integration keeps failing on the connected servers page in OMi to APM.  Looking at the document is says port 383 should be open.  Looks like it uses the agent for the ping between the systems.  That makes sense.  I go to APM and realize ovc -status doesnt work.. because there is no agent.  THe agent in not part of the listed packages in the windows install for APM 9.30.  No where in the installation or integartion guide does it tell you to install the agent seperatly or that its installed by default.  

Am I missing something here?

Both systems are windows.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: APM 9.30 No Agent installed? Agent needed for integrating with OMi 10.11?

You are quite correct.  No agent or agent-related comms layer is installed or required on the APM 9.30 server.  So the Connected Server Test Connection will fail, so just ignore that.  They way event integration to OMi 10.11 works with APM 9.30 is that APM sends REST WS to the OMi server where you have deployed the OprEvent REST WS Event policy.  This applies to all the events from APM - CI Status Alerts, EUM Alert events, etc.

Once you get it working, let me know and I will have a few tips for you on getting the event attributes to make sense.

CP.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Is this documented anywhere?  Is there a policy already created that I just have to import and deploy?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yep.  Page 32 of the OMi Integration Guide.  btw, you do have OMi 10.11, right?  This is the OMi version where we support APM 9.30 integration.

CP

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

I had an old version of the doc for 10.11 (May).  THink it was before APM 9.30 came out.  I have the updated document now (July).  Will post if I have anymore issues. Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Ok, I have it hooked up correclty now.  thanks for your help.

I will take any additional tips you may have!  Thanks Carol1

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Good to know you got it working.  Some additional tips from recent experience...

1. EUM Alert generates events that do not resolve to BA CIs (they resolve to OMi GW node as a fallback).

Modify the CI Hint in the EUM Alert template to use a different hint.  Ie, replace this:
UCMDB:<<Entity ID>>
With this:
<<Entity Name>>:business_application

This works as long as the entity name is unique in OMi.  Ie, you don't have two BusinessApplication CIs with the same name.

2. Event generated by EUM Alert ends up with node CI set to OMi GW.

Set the Host Hint in the EUM Alert template to <<BSM DNS>>.

If it doesn't resolve, that's perfect.  If it does resolve, at least it is the APM server not the OMi server.

3. HI status change events suffer the same problems as EUM Alerts

I don't have a good workaround right now, so easiest thing is to turn off HI Status Change events (edit the individual Health Indicator(s) in APM to not generate events).

4. APM events that are sent as logonly=true (ie, sent to OMi as closed events, which is typical of normal severity events) show up as open events in OMi.

Edit the OprEvent policy.  In the Defaults tab, change “Send with closed status” from this:
To this:
<$DATA:/event/log_only>
Then update the version of the policy assigned to the OMi GW.

5. Close key pattern-matching not working.  Ie, a good APM EUM event doesn't close the corresponding bad APM EUM event.

Edit the EUM Alert template.  Change the Close Key Pattern from this:
<<Alert Name>>:<<Entity ID>>:<<Groupby Names Key>>:<*>
To this:
<<Alert Name>>:<<Entity ID>>:<<Groupby Names Key>>
Edit the OprEvent policy.  In the Defaults tab, change Close Events with Key from this:
<$DATA:/event/close_key_pattern>
To this:
<$DATA:/event/close_key_pattern>:<*>

These items are being tracked in the system, but hopefully these tips should help with your immediate APM event integration needs.

CP.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Hi Carol,

Please note that i am facing the same issue when upgrading APM 9.30 from 9.26 with OMi 10.11 IP1 as i am facing the below,

CI Status Alerts for the Business Transactions are not received to OMi and it's critical for me to receive such events as they contribute in the calulation of the KPIs on OMi which is being forwarded to BVD.

any clue how to solve this issue,

BR,

Ahmed Alaa

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.