Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

APM 9.50 - App Overview does not display any data

Jump to solution

Hi all,

When running an APM environment (Application Performance Management 9.50.81, build 73), I have had the problem for about 10 days that I no longer see data in the App Overview (APM_DB_Err.Screenshot02_AppOverview.png, APM_DB_Err.Screenshot03_AppOverview_Month.png).
The BSM scripts are executed reliably and the current status is displayed on the dashboard (APM_DB_Err.Screenshot01_Dashboard.png).
Attempts to regenerate data by restarting DPS and GW failed.

I suspect a problem with the communication of the DPS with the database, in the multiplicity of the log files I did not find however a hint.
In the persist_dir of the GW there is only an older mpp file in the subdirectory dlq (APM_DB_Err.Screenshot04_Files_DPS.png). In the persist_dir of the DPS there is a mpp file of current date, which grows after each execution of the scripts (APM_DB_Err.Screenshot05_Files_GW.png).

My questions to the community:
- Did anyone ever observe and solve such behavior?
- Can someone give me a hint in which log files I would have to search to fix the error?

Thanks in advance
Christoph Richter

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi all,

Thank you all for the suggestions for problem solving - unfortunately they did not work.

An indication from Micro Focus Support was able to correct the error. The cause was not the database connection but was in a full tmp directory of the jboss on the gateway server. After deleting the directory and restarting the APM environment, data was written to the database.

Best regards, Christoph

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Submit a support case since it will require investigation in several directions and logs.

BTW - please check the legacy reports (under Application > EUM > Triage raw data and Application Summary) whether you see data for the same time period.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Asaf,

thanks for your answer.

Unfortunatly the legacy reports does not show anything 😞

Strolling through persist_dir on DPS I found subfolder in the recover folder with part-0. rpp in. The timestamp of the rpp-file shows the date of last successful db-update (where I can see data in App Overview) and an idx-file with timestamp of last reboot.

Same on GW, some subdirectorys in recovery.

I think, I have to raise a support case, but any hint from the community is helpful to me.

Thanks in advance, Christoph

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Christoph,

It sounds like data is coming into BSM from BPM, but not getting into the database.

Can you check the DB Loader logs on the GWs, and the Partition Manager logs on the DPs?

The Partition Manager logs may show if there are problems creating new partitions or finding partitions with the correct time ranges.

Check that the time is in sync between the databases and APM servers, and also the Data Collectors.  If there are time differences, samples may be coming from the 'future', so don't fit in any existing profile database partitions

Also, if using MSSQL, check that you do have the Enterprise flavour as native partitioning is required.

I hope that helps a bit.

Regards,

Tim

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi all,

Thank you all for the suggestions for problem solving - unfortunately they did not work.

An indication from Micro Focus Support was able to correct the error. The cause was not the database connection but was in a full tmp directory of the jboss on the gateway server. After deleting the directory and restarting the APM environment, data was written to the database.

Best regards, Christoph

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

@ChRichter71 do you recall what tmp directory that was.  I am currently experiencing a similar issue where it seems to track current data, but historical/rolled-up data is not displaying.

thank you

-k

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi kjf,

if you suspect a similar situation as ChRichter71 did
  a full tmp directory of the jboss on the gateway server
there are not many options, most likely it was
<HPBSM>\jboss-as\standalone\tmp

but this issue
I am currently experiencing a similar issue where it seems to track current data, but historical/rolled-up data is not displaying.
- as explaing before in this thread - can have so many different reasons behind it, that just hunting for a full directory is not the way to resolve the issue, but to check WHERE the issue is (data collectors / web server / WDE / bus / DBLoader / PM / database) and proceed from there.

Greetings
Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Thank you @Siggi Gladitsch .  I ended up bouncing both the GW and DPS and it resolved.  I appreciate the information though.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.