Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

BAC 7 startup error: mercury_online_engine does not start

Hi,

I have installed BAC but cannot get it to start correctly. If I navigate to the web page I get the message "The HP Business Availability Center server is currently unavailable. Please try again later." over a very nice background.

It seems to be continually trying to start the process mercury_online_engine. This is what I gather from the Nanny service and logs.

The BAC instance has both the gateway and data processing server on one VM. The DB resides on a different host. This is to be our QA environment.

This is my third install with the same problem. I've tested DB connectivity by running the topaz browser tool (\tools\TopazBrowser) and that seems fine.

I've attached the outputs from jvm_statistics.log and online_engine_boot.log. Also attached is the output from the LogGrabber tool. ( \tools\LogGrabber)

I'm pretty certain that the problem I'm having can be solved by finding the correct parameters to pass to the online_engine in the file mercury_online_engine_vm_params.ini in \bin. I'll let you know how it works.

Is this a problem anyone else has run across yet?
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I can't attach the log file due to it's size.

If this is needed leave a comment and I will post it somewhere.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

How much memory do you have in your VM for BAC? Also how much time do you wait for BAC starting up? First starts for BAC 7.0 single box systems are heavy - I saw BAC 7.0 single box deployment on a physical box with 8 GB of memory took about an hour to start for the first time. For VM with less memory it will take even longer.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I was able to get the online_engine started by adjusting the settings to be :
-Xms4m -Xmx4m -XX:NewSize=2m -XX:MaxNewSize=18m -XX:PermSize=18m -XX:MaxPermSize=20m

the vm has a pretty low memory cap ( 1G ).

I'm now having similar issues with the db_Loader. I can't find a working tuning for it though. I'm going to see if I can get the memory allocation increased for the VM and see if that helps.

Good reminder about the long start-up times. It really does take a long time to get things adjusted initially.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

1 GB for BAC 7.0 is no go, don't even waste your time by tuning .ini files. 4 GB (or at least 3.6 GB if you work with ESX 2.x) is what you need at minimum to start and WORK with BAC 7.0 single box. With less amount of memory you might start BAC somehow, but performance to work with will be awful.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

1GB :-((( no good at all.

Even back in the old days BAC 5.1 needed more then that.
It need at least 4 GB of ram, you can maybe do something with 2 GB but it will be extremely slow and will crash when ever you will do something which is a bit more then basic stuff.

In basic what happened is that JBoss took most of the memory and the others processes include the online didn't have memory left.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Going to 2G fixed the problem.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Experts,

I'm also facing the same problem where process "mercury_online_engine" is not running. I'm new to BAC.

I'm on HP BAC 8.0, using VM Environment with 3.75 GB RAM. Gateway and DPS are on two different machines.

Below are the settings for mercury_online_engine_vm_params.ini file:
-Xms600m -Xmx600m -XX:NewSize=160m -XX:MaxNewSize=160m -XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=64m

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance
Vatsalya
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.