Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

BAC with Load Balancer.

Hi Experts,

We have already configure 1 Gateway and 2 DPS servers and DPS servers are configured in high availability mode. Now as the BPMs and users are increasing,we are looking to add one more Gateway server and to configure it with a hardware load balancer. As i have already a Gateway server i have all the BPMs assigned to it.As there are so many BPMs we want to the BPM to be at the existing Gateway server only becasuse editing the BPM instance is not possible for all the BPMs. How to achieve this?  (Can i create a virtual IP at the load balancer which will have the same IP as the existing gateway server has so that i will not have to do any changes in the BPMs. For the New Gateway server i will create a new Virtual IP at the load balancer and will give to the users. is it ok?)  What about the DPS servers? As i have 2 DPS servers assigned configured and assigned to Existing Gateway server.If i install a new gateway server then how these two DPS will work with the new Gateway server with load balancer.

Thanks and Regards,

Woodrow Taylor

0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@woodrow_hp wrote:

As there are so many BPMs we want to the BPM to be at the existing Gateway server only becasuse editing the BPM instance is not possible for all the BPMs.

Weird. So you basically undermine the whole idea of GW server load balancing. If all your existing BPMs will keep reporting to one GW server what are you going to load balance? New BPMs and BSM users? If so, all existing BPMs will bypass Load Balancer and will connect directly to the GW server #1, so you don't need to configure anything on the LB for that.

Also there is no such thing as assigning DPS to GW servers. All servers (GW, DPS) belong to a specific BSM instance. Information about all BSM instance servers is stored in BSM Management database. As soon as you install GW server #2 and connect it to existing Management database of your BSM instance, you are done. Nothing else is required, both of your DPS servers will know that there are 2 GW servers they can work with. 

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Drimty,

Thanks for the quick response.

As per my understanding one gateway server is used to assign the BPMs and the other one can be used for the users.As the BPM has been configured with the current gateway IP address so If i replace the virtual IP of the load balancer with the IP address of the existing gateway server and change the IP address of  the existing gateway server with some new IP address.

Now while reinstalling the gateway servers with load balancer if i give the 1st virtual IP address(Replaced by the IP address of the old gateway server) of the load balancer to the Gateway server 1 which will be used for BPMs and the other new Virtual IP address to the gateway server 2 for the users, and use the  virtual IP address of the load balancer used for the BPMs for the DPS servers to install.Will this work or will it create any exception as i have already database with old schemas created in it.

Please help.

Thanks and Regards,

Arrey.

Thanks And Regards,
Anjani
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

To be honest I don't understand why you need LB at all. The architecture you chose (GW#1 serving data collectors, GW#2 serving users) makes LB absolutely useless thing. Let your data collectors use the existing URL of GW#1. Install GW#2, connect it to the same BSM DB. Let BSM users use URL of GW#2. That's it. No need in any LB. 

The main purpose of having LB in front of GW servers is to distribute load from both data collectors and BSM users among all GW servers, thus providing not only load balancing but also High Availability for GW servers. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for  quick response. 

We want existing BPM on same IP (GW Server 1 ) as we do not want to change configuration of existing BPM. The load balancer we want for configuring new BPMs and users. 

In this scenario we will given below idea work ? or do you have any other suggestions ? 

As per my understanding one gateway server is used to assign the BPMs and the other one can be used for the users.As the BPM has been configured with the current gateway IP address so If i replace the virtual IP of the load balancer with the IP address of the existing gateway server and change the IP address of  the existing gateway server with some new IP address.Now while reinstalling the gateway servers with load balancer if i give the 1st virtual IP address(Replaced by the IP address of the old gateway server) of the load balancer to the Gateway server 1 which will be used for BPMs and the other new Virtual IP address to the gateway server 2 for the users, and use the  virtual IP address of the load balancer used for the BPMs for the DPS servers to install.Will this work or will it create any exception as i have already database with old schemas created in it. Please help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@woodrow_hp wrote:
 We want existing BPM on same IP (GW Server 1 ) as we do not want to change configuration of existing BPM. The load balancer we want for configuring new BPMs and users. 

Don't use LB for existing BPMs at all. They will keep reporting to GW#1. No changes at all.

For new BPMs and users use LB with 2 virtual names configured - one for BPMs (and any other data collectors), another for users. How to do it is described in BSM Deployment guide. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Woodrow, As I understand, the only concern you have is about changing the BSM IP address in all BPM machines. As you said, if you change current GW server IP as a Virtual IP of LB, then the complete management DB will be having issues, as the previous GW server IP address is changed. Though it is tedious task, I suggest you to change it manually.

-Raj

Regards,
Raj

Like this Post? Click Kudos! to show appreciation.
Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Drimty,

If i keep the old gateway server as it is and assign the new BPM and users to the new gatway server using load balancer with 2 virtual IPs in that case while installing the new Gateway server which virtual IP should i put when it asks for the load balancer IP.If i put the Virtual IP that i have configured for BPMs then where will i put the virtual IP that i have created for the users?

Please help,

Thanks and Regards,

Woodrow.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Use the virtual IP (virtual name) that you configured for users.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Drimty,

One more doubt.If iam doing all the changes in Gateway server 2 and will not do changes in Gateway server 1 then how will these two gateway server will sync with the one and only load balancer as the  Gateway server 1 has no any information stored in it about the load balancer and my DPS servers are connected with the Gateway  server1 only.

Please help.

Thanks and Regards,

Arrey.

Thanks And Regards,
Anjani
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Anjani,

As per Dimitry, there is no changes in GW2 and GW 1

just these two ips will be linked to LB. and for new BPMS LB will be used in instance. So only for new BPMS LB will work. OLD BPMs still push the data through GW 1 only.

All these GW1, GW2, DPS are connecting to same DB schemas right..I'm not sure which linking you are talkign about between DPS adn GW

-Krishna Rajapantula.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Krishna,

All the DPS serverd and GW servers are connected to the same database.

How to link the two gateway server iPs with the load balancer?As i have already one Gateway server installed.I am not going to do any changes in the old Gateway server while installing the new gateway server i will give the virtual IP of the load balancer which i have configured for the users.

Now the Url by which users will access the BAC console will contain the IP that i have created for the users.

Will this url will display all the information about the old BPMs which are connected the old gateway server? or do i will be requiring the old url to access the console of the old BPMs which are connected to the old Gateway server.

Please help.

Thanks and Regards,

Arrey

Thanks And Regards,
Anjani
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.