Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

BSM 9.1x - DPS Failover

Jump to solution

Hi

I have today implemented automatic failover on our test BSM system (9.13) and have sucessfully tested that the secondary DPS server takes over when the primary is no longer available.

I have brought the primary server back up but the services have not switched back to the primary.

I have also tried using the java.lang.String moveServices() mbean setting the primary as the destination and secondary as the source and this did nothing.

What do I need to do in order to switch back all services to the Primary DPS server?

I dont want to stop all services on Secondary as this will incur a further application outage as the failover waits to happen.

Any suggestions would be helpful as i cant see this referenced in the deployment guide or on this forum.

Thanks
Adam 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

This is fine now, I realised that this was due to the failover being set at 19 minutes!

This is due to the long time it takes to start services following a restart.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It looks like your expectations were incorrect. While services are moved automatically from primary DPS to backup DPS upon failover, there is no automatic process to move service back to the primary DPS once it's up again. You need to do it yourself either through System Health (if you have it deployed for your BSM instance) or through JMX console (read "Reassigning Services with JMX Console" in the BSM Deployment guide for details).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks

I have found that to move the services back to the Primary you need to stop the services on the Secondary.

If this is the case you need to force another period of downtime (a short one) just to put the system back,

Is this how you understand it to work?

Thanks
Adam

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

No, you don't need to explicitly stop services on the secondary DPS. You just need to move them back to the primary. When you do it those service will stop on the secondary DPS and will start on the primary DPS at once.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I will try it again but when I first tried this the services did not move back until I stopped the secondary server servcies.  I will confirm once I have tested this.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

This is fine now, I realised that this was due to the failover being set at 19 minutes!

This is due to the long time it takes to start services following a restart.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

How to identify Primary DPS in HA environment?

Regards,
hp4u
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
From the HP Business Service Management Status tool, look at the HAC status panel. If there are services running in there, that will be the primary server.
When the primary server fails over, the secondary will start these services up and will become the primary.
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Adam,

Could you tell me where did u find this time settings that you changed.

I am also facing similar kind of issue, I reassigned services from seconday DPS to primary DPS however 3 services are unable to start on Primary(under HAC). It takes long time and I also wanted to verify the time which is set.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi

In the BSM admin console - go to Platform//infrastructure settings

Select the following context: Foundations - High Availability Controller

I have set the following:

Keep Alive Timeout (minutes)      20

Monitor failures interval (minutes) 2

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thanks Adam,

But now am facing some other issue, automatic failover from primary to secondary DPS worked when I tried first time but now its not working.

If I manually assign the services from primary DPS to secondary then it works.

All JMX settings for automatic failover seem to be fine.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

The failover only works one way.

If the primary fails over to secondary I have only been able to fail back by manually switching services.

Is your secondary server actually configured as primary via the JMX console?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.