Absent Member.
Absent Member.

BSM's services disappeared

For some reason, after a restart of the server, BSM started to show that Business logic engine is not available in the dashboards. I didn't find why could this be happening, so eventually I was restarting the server and staring at the server status window. 

All of a sudden, I noticed that BSM's status window no longer lists services like "marble_worker", "OPR", etc. 

I have tried to configure a new management database on the same BSM setup and all the services were gone back. Then I switched the management DB back to the one that retains my settings and the services list changed  to a half-empty one 😞

Running run_db_verify.bat hasn't helped, though it found some issues that were corrected with the SQL script the utility provided:

DROP INDEX [REMOTE_GROUPS_MAPPING].[REMOTE_GROUPS_MAPPING_IND2]
GO

DROP INDEX [REMOTE_GROUPS_MAPPING].[REMOTE_GROUPS_MAPPING_IND1]
GO

ALTER TABLE [REMOTE_GROUPS_MAPPING] ADD [LDAP_DOMAIN] [VARCHAR](80) NULL 
GO

CREATE  CLUSTERED INDEX [REMOTE_GROUPS_MAPPING_IND1] ON [REMOTE_GROUPS_MAPPING]([CUSTOMER_ID],[REMOTE_GROUP_ID],[LOCAL_GROUP_ID],[LDAP_DOMAIN])
GO

CREATE  NONCLUSTERED INDEX [REMOTE_GROUPS_MAPPING_IND2] ON [REMOTE_GROUPS_MAPPING]([CUSTOMER_ID],[LOCAL_GROUP_ID],[REMOTE_GROUP_ID],[LDAP_DOMAIN])
GO

What else can be causing the services to disappear? How do I force them to reappear?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi m_chistyakov,

it looks like some entries in the HA* tables are missing or got corrupted,

the differneces DBVerify found look odd, but are by no way related to that issue.

Assuming that entries are missing, you can recover them the following way:

- disable BSM (GW first, then DPS)

- run these queries in the Management DB:

+   ALTER TABLE HA_SERVICES_DEP DROP CONSTRAINT HA_SERVICES_DEP_FK1;
  +   ALTER TABLE HA_SERVICES_DEP DROP CONSTRAINT HA_SERVICES_DEP_FK2;
  +   ALTER TABLE HA_SRV_ALLWD_GRPS DROP CONSTRAINT HA_SRV_ALLWD_GRPS_FK1;
  +   ALTER TABLE HA_SRV_ALLWD_GRPS DROP CONSTRAINT HA_SRV_ALLWD_GRPS_FK2;
  +   ALTER TABLE HA_SERVICES DROP CONSTRAINT HA_SERVICES_FK1;

+   TRUNCATE TABLE HA_ACTIVE_SESS
  +   TRUNCATE TABLE HA_BACKUP_PROCESSES
  +   TRUNCATE TABLE HA_PROC_ALWD_SERVICES
  +   TRUNCATE TABLE HA_PROCESSES
  +   TRUNCATE TABLE HA_SRV_ALLWD_GRPS
  +   TRUNCATE TABLE HA_SERVICES_DEP
  +   TRUNCATE TABLE HA_SERVICES
  +   TRUNCATE TABLE HA_SERVICE_GRPS
  +   TRUNCATE TABLE HA_TASKS
  +   TRUNCATE TABLE HA_SERVERS

+   ALTER TABLE HA_SERVICES_DEP ADD CONSTRAINT HA_SERVICES_DEP_FK1 FOREIGN KEY (SERVICE_ID) REFERENCES HA_SERVICES (ID);
  +   ALTER TABLE HA_SERVICES_DEP ADD CONSTRAINT HA_SERVICES_DEP_FK2 FOREIGN KEY (DEPENDS_ON) REFERENCES HA_SERVICES (ID);
  +   ALTER TABLE HA_SRV_ALLWD_GRPS ADD CONSTRAINT HA_SRV_ALLWD_GRPS_FK1 FOREIGN KEY (SERVER_ID) REFERENCES HA_SERVERS (ID);
  +   ALTER TABLE HA_SRV_ALLWD_GRPS ADD CONSTRAINT HA_SRV_ALLWD_GRPS_FK2 FOREIGN KEY (GROUP_ID) REFERENCES HA_SERVICE_GRPS (ID);
  +   ALTER TABLE HA_SERVICES ADD CONSTRAINT HA_SERVICES_FK1 FOREIGN KEY (GROUP_ID) REFERENCES HA_SERVICE_GRPS (ID);

+   DELETE from DEPLOY_HW

- run the DB Connection Wizard and connect to the original databases on all BSM machines (DPS first, then GW)
- Start up BSM (DPS first, then GW)

Greetings

Siggi

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Siggi, unfortunately, that didn't help. Still only 4 services listed.

0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Siggi, just wanted to quickly thank you -- these queries, a last ditch effort for me, REALLY helped us out this weekend.

Here's what we ran up against, in the event someone else might encounter the same issue (I searched furiously through the Interweb for someone running up against this and couldn't find anything, so maybe this wil help someone else):

We upgraded BSM 9.13 to 9.25 via the staging method.  All was well, we completed the upgrade, migrated our data collectors to point at the new environment, disabled SDR and staging mode on the new set of servers -- everything looked great. 

Of course the staging method has us initially replicate the production databases to another SQL server/instance, but once everything looked good on the upgade, we shutdown the "old" BSM 9.13 servers, deleted the databases the "old" BSM 9.13 environment had been connected to, and then migrated our "new" 9.25 (staging) set of databases back to their original SQL server/instance.  Still, as was well.

Some time over night however the "old" 9.13 servers were started again (which of course are configured to connect to the exact same databases our 9.25 enviornment was connecred to), BSM's message broker attempted to started (but failed to start), and the result was that on our BSM  9.25 environments Status page, we had only 4 services listed under HAC Status.  Of course, dashboards wouldn't work, etc.

The process you supplied above (along with, again, permanently shutting down the old 9.13 environment servers), resolved our issue and we're back in business.

I think the lesson here is, when you upgrade via staging method and your goal is to have the new environment's databases back to their original home, ensure the old environment can't connect to those databases.  Lesson learnt, and again, thank you!

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Dave,

thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately it didn't help in case of m_chistyakov  (based on her/his last response),
so I'm really glad to hear that it worked for you.

Greetings

Siggi 

Customer Support
Micro Focus

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.