Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

CAUTION: couldn't convert original string to UTF8

Dears,

I am monitoring several log files generated from an application with the extension ".log.bin" however, on each interval of the policy it is giving the output:

CAUTION: couldn't convert original string to UTF8

how can we solve this. the HP Support last time they said that the application needs to convert those files into .txt form in order to OM Agent read the content. our OM Agent is version 11.14.

Please advise.

thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
17 Replies
Captain
Captain

Hi,

what's the character set configured for the logfile policy? is it same as the characters in the log files? if it's not matched. please try to change the character set of the policy and see if it would work.

Best Regards,

Jindong

Micro Focus Software Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of Micro Focus.

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

within the policy I tried several character set and all lead to the same negative results. I tried ASCII and I tried ISO 8859 (which is the character set for the logfiles) however and unfortunately it didnt fix the issue.

as per HP Support when I opened the case, they said either I need a pre processing program that will convert these .log.bin files into .txt or nothing they can do more.

Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

within the policy I tried several character set and all lead to the same negative results. I tried ASCII and I tried ISO 8859 (which is the character set for the logfiles) however and unfortunately it didnt fix the issue.

as per HP Support when I opened the case, they said either I need a pre processing program that will convert these .log.bin files into .txt or nothing they can do more.

Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Hi,

What's the system locale on the node? is it iso885915?

Please check if iso885915 is available by:

#locale -a => en_US.iso885915

and what's the OPC_NODE_CHARSET configured?
# ovconfchg -ns eaagt

Please try  the following on the node:
# ovconfchg -ns eaagt -set OPC_FORMAT_OCTET_STR FALSE
# ovconfchg -ns ctrl.env -set LANG en_US.iso885915
#ovconfchg -ns ctrl.env -set LC_ALL en_US.iso885915

# ovc -kill
#ovc -start

Best Regards,

Jindong

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of Micro Focus.

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

if I issue the locale on the node, it will give the below:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

LC_CITYPE="en_US.UTF-8"

etc...

how shall I proceed?

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Hi,

Please check all locales installed/available on the node:

#locale -a

Is  en_US.iso885915 in the output?

Thanks and Regards,

Jindong

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Dear,

yes it exists in locale -a

regards,

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Hi,

then try the following two solutions:

1)

# ovconfchg -ns eaagt -set  OPC_NODE_CHARSET utf8
# ovconfchg -ns ctrl.env -set LANG en_US.iso885915
#ovconfchg -ns ctrl.env -set LC_ALL en_US.iso885915
# ovc -kill
#ovc -start

PLease change the policy character set to ISO885915, and redeploy to the agent

2)

# ovconfchg -ns eaagt -set  OPC_NODE_CHARSET utf8
# ovconfchg -ns ctrl.env -set LANG en_US.utf8
#ovconfchg -ns ctrl.env -set LC_ALL en_US.utf8
# ovc -kill
#ovc -start

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Dears,

can you tell me what is the difference, and why we are choosing ISO885915 and not another coding characterset?

thank you.

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Hi,

What's the coding character set of the log files? we need to configure the policy character set  same as  the actual character set of the log file. if it's not ISO885915, please change it to  the actual character set and  set the  LANG and LC_ALL to corresponding locale under ctrl.env.

Best Regards,

Jindong

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Dear,

Do you know how can I know the characterset of the log file?

regards,

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.