Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

DBSPI - Events from a disabled instance

Hi experts,

I have an issue with OVOW 7.5 and its DBSPI. I have been asked to stop monitoring an instance of an Oracle DB, which I have done (thanks to the DB Configuration Manager). After that, some errors regarding that DB continued appearing, so I had a check by launching the "Verify Deployment" tool and realized that there still was an entry regarding that instance, mentionned as being ON.

From what I have found here, I was able to force an OFF value for that DB. During a few days, everything was calm. That was until yesterday. The following event appeared about the disabled instance:

DBSPI20-6: [INSTANCE_NAME] not found in /var/opt/OV/dbspi/dbtab

I have disabled graphs and reports for that instance, run the "mwa restart servers" and the [Verify Deployment] tool indicates the following:

* Entries in /var/opt/OV/dbspi/defaults:

[CONCERNED_INSTANCE] OFF
[OTHER_INSTANCE] ON

Does someone know why I'm still receiving such events about a DB that is not monitored anymore? Did I forget to check something?

Thank you very much in advance!
0 Likes
21 Replies
Highlighted
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

What type of node is this database on? It sounds like you have removed the database from the configuration. If this is Unix/Linux node run /var/opt/OV/bin/instrumentation/dbspicfg -e to check. There should no longer be references in dbtab and having the instance OFF in defaults is meaningless. I would remove this entry from dbtab. Just guessing, I think you will find your instance configured in dbspicfg -e output. You aren't getting alerts for the most part do to the defaults instance, however, since the db is not defined in dbtab the instance is partly configured and dbspi is confused.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your help, and sorry for my delayed answer. Here are the details that you asked:

* What type of node is this database on?

The DB is running on an HP-UX B11.11 node.

* It sounds like you have removed the database from the configuration.

Actually, the DB has been moved from that node to another one.

* If this is Unix/Linux node run /var/opt/OV/bin/instrumentation/dbspicfg -e to check.

I have issued the command. You were right, there still are some entries mentionning the DB as being disabled:

DATABASE "DBNAME" CONNECT "user/password"
DISABLED
LOGFILE "/u01/app/oracle/admin/DBNAME/bdump/alert_DBNAME.log"

What would you advise now? Should I simply manually remove the entries from the dbtab file? I had a look to remove the entries with different tools, but the documentation on that subject is pretty incomplete.

Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Edit the DBSPI configuration. To do this you will need to add /var/opt/OV/bin/instrumentation to you PATH if it is not already part of it. The run dbspicfg.sh. This will bring up a vi editor session of the config. Remove the lines for the database in question then save the config.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

this of course is done on the mananged node where the database used to reside.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi Larry,

The different steps have been taken successfully, everything should be back in order. I will keep an eye on that node for a few days to make sure that the problem is really gone.

Thanks for your fast answer and for your help!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi Larry,

I thought that the issue was solved, but the event appeared once again. It's still the same event:

DBSPI20-6: [INSTANCE_NAME] not found in /var/opt/OV/dbspi/dbtab

So far, I thought that there were no more references to the faulting instance on the node, but there's apparently something else causing this to reappear.

Does someone have an idea of what I might have forgotten to check on the node?

Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

the only other thing I can think of is to check the /var/opt/perf/perflbd.rc file for reference to the old database. If there are references to it, delete them and then restart mwa. I could be kind of surprised if this fixed the issue, however, I have no other explanation for the issue.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Is your node a cluster member with configured apminfo.xml and dbspi.apm.xml? If so and you have not removed the part of it related to your disabled oracle instance I think this might cause the message to appear when the package is switched to other cluster member.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi guys,

Larry, I had a try but this still didn't solve the issue. I still obtained another DBSPI20-6 error after a few days of calm. It seems that the problem is elsewhere, but I couldn't find out where yet...

Peter, this is an interesting lead. We are currently trying that here, I will reply to this thread as soon as I have some more details. BTW, I didn't forget to assign you some points, I'm just waiting to see how things are going, I wouln't want to assign too few points for a good answer 🙂

Thank you two for your help!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Peter,

We have located the apminfo.xml and dbspi.apm.xml files on the concerned node and checked them, but there were no entries about the removed instance.

Meanwhile, we have found some other entries in the /var/opt/OV/conf/dsi2ddf/ddflbd.rc file on the node. These entries have been removed, too.

Is there anything else I should consider checking? Are there some other sources that could trigger the DBSPI20-6 error?

Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi again,

I have seen another occurence of the DBSPI20-6 on the concerned node. Since we removed all the references to the removed instance (well at least all the occurences that we could find), is there any other thing I should check?

Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.