Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Deploying aspect on to CI collection

Hi,

If i create a view with "CiCollection" and "Nodes" with membership relation, and deploy an Aspect on to view, will it replicate to node which are related to CiCollection

CiCollections are imported OML node groups and nodes are members of that group

Regards,
Sridhara.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes. That's the idea behind Automatic Assignment Rules.
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You need to be aware of a few Things!

1. You need to create a autoassignment rule for this view. This rule will create an assignment to all member of this view. in this case the ci collection. so if another CI shows up in this group the assignment rule will create an direct assignment aspect -> node

2. If you remove a member from this group. nothing will happen. the aspect will be still assigned. Also it will be assigned in this version ot was at the time you removed it from the group.

3. So you need to take care that this assignmet may get have to be removed manually from this node.

If forgotten to do this , you need to find out. but to find this out is not exactly trivial. For my customers i build some scripts that uses opr-assign and other CMD to list all members of a view that is used by a autoassignment rule. then it compares if there are nodes that missing this assignment and if there are nodes that have this assignment but are not mebers of this view.

also with this report i found out that autoassignment works about 99,99% of time, but sometimes not. its rare but it happen. other discovery was that removing an aspect from a node not always all policies get properly removed.  especially in large environments we can see this regulary.
as this report does a one to one comparison between opctemplate on the node and the assignment in the database this get into attention. So this report runs once a week and there are every monday a few  leftover polices on nodes.

I reported this behaviour to MF R&D but never got any feedback. so we have to live with this problem.

with newer verisons of OBM , some report function are available but these dont cover all the needed functionality.

unfortunately i am not allowed to share the code here.

Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Hi ,

Thanks for the information. I did created the view and found its replicating on to node when I listed assignments. But I also found that for some nodes the assignments are not showing up when I listed. is there any thing I should do or is it a bug
Regards,
Sridhara.
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

There is one more thing.

you need somtimes patient.

as i understand the RTSM rules that update the autoassignment rules run not instantly when you add a node to a view. these rules in RTSM  are scheduled only from time to time as these are resource hungry.

For my customer it happens that they add some nodes to a view but sometimes deployment of policies started several hours later.

we opened a support case and got this explanation, but  product management told us that there are some improvements planned. this was with version 10.6x. so a few years ago. i lost track of it a bit. so i cant tell you how often the rules get trigered in RTSM to update Autoassignment rules.

I know it is disapointing, but works as designed. and yes i am personally not happy with this design either.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.