Captain
Captain

Dynamic Thresholds in RUM

Jump to solution

Hi support,

We're considering using Dynamic Thresholds in RUM for our applications.
I tried to find some information on the webhelp, whereas I found that there is very few information on how this feature works. On this topic, I have a few questions:

1. Dynamic Thresholds can only be set on an Action. In order for it to work, you need to configure the parent application to enable dynamic thresholds aswell. How does this affect the pages which have not been defined in transactions?
  2. The idea of setting a Dynamic Threshold mode is for a threshold to adapt to the current traffic. On what basis does RUM determine what the threshold will be, and how much will this differ to the actually measurements at that time? ( example: if the average server time is 3, will the threshold be 3, or 3.5, or even much higher?) 
  3. How does the dynamic monitor calculate the threshold? the available information states that it adapts to current traffic. how does RUM differentiate between usual rises in performance durations and actual problems in performance? If this is based on duration, what duration is involved, and how much traffic has to behave differently in order to recognize it as an issue?

I hope we can gather the necessary information to see how we can utilize this feature in our monitoring suite.

regards,

Jeroen

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Jeroen,

As it was mentioned, RUM calculates dynamic threshold not over time, but aggregating data from incoming Pages\Action after accumulating  aprox. 1500 pages\actions Server\Page Times.
So, after aprox 1500 hits RUM is having dynamic threshold for Server Time and Page Time. I cannot tell you now about exact algorithm, but i suppose it is based on average values.
Dynamic threshold values are being updated also not on OVT base, but depending on the number of incoming pages\action.

Effects on triggering RUM Objects:
1. Raw pages (clicksteam in Session Details report) will be reported with dynamic thresholds for Server time and Page time;
2. Defined pages by default will be reported with dynamic thresholds, but you can define your own static threshold in Page definition;
3. Transactions by default are using manually defined thresholds, but you can also change it to "Determine thresholds from included pages" (in case pages in the transaction are using dynamic thresholds, so they will be used)

Best regards, Alexey

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hello Jeroen,

Thanks for all your question,

Please verify the following information:

When you configure an action for monitoring by RUM, you can determine whether its performance thresholds
(action time and server time) are static thresholds (specific threshold values that you configure), or are
dynamically calculated by RUM using historical action data. RUM calculates a meaningful threshold
after approximately 1500 action hits and dynamically updates the threshold as additional hits are
monitored.
To be able to configure dynamic thresholds for an action, you must first enable dynamic thresholds for
its parent application

Best Regards

Juan Carlos Monge Granados
Support Engineer
San José, Costa Rica
Hewlett Packard
Enterprise

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Hi Juan,

I already had the information you provided. The article states that RUM does that on it's own with a regard to the traffic measured. my questions go a bit further into details, foremost how does RUM calculate this over which period of time and how does this relate to pages which are undefined?

Let's say the Dynamic threshold setting is applied to an application which has transactions both dynamic and static. In order for RUM to calculate the dynamic thresholds of the actions, the application has to be set to dynamic thresholds. How does this affect pages which are not defined in actions or transactions but are part of the URL strings that are set into the application?  

example:
application is set for " hpe.com/forum/* "
it has two transactions/actions defined: "hpe.com/forum/topic1" (dynamic) and "hpe.com/forum/topic2" ( static)

In our organization, there are much more URLS behind the URL defined in the application, but are not necessarily defined in a monitor. in this example, let's see:

"hpe.com/forum/topic3" is not defined in a transaction or action, but does impact the application because it's set on hpe.com/forum/*. What will RUM do with the RUM data from "hpe.com/forum/topic3" when the dynamic setting has been set in the application?

We would like to know how this is applied, because this is hard to test on a non-production environment ( so we do not impact our customers ) and we do not want to just turn it on and see what happens when the critical availability of our BSM is at stake.

We do want to know If this feature fits in our requirements in order to utilize it into our monitoring on certain RUM monitored application which has a lot of pages not defined in actions.

see the questions in my earlier post for more details.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Jeroen,

As it was mentioned, RUM calculates dynamic threshold not over time, but aggregating data from incoming Pages\Action after accumulating  aprox. 1500 pages\actions Server\Page Times.
So, after aprox 1500 hits RUM is having dynamic threshold for Server Time and Page Time. I cannot tell you now about exact algorithm, but i suppose it is based on average values.
Dynamic threshold values are being updated also not on OVT base, but depending on the number of incoming pages\action.

Effects on triggering RUM Objects:
1. Raw pages (clicksteam in Session Details report) will be reported with dynamic thresholds for Server time and Page time;
2. Defined pages by default will be reported with dynamic thresholds, but you can define your own static threshold in Page definition;
3. Transactions by default are using manually defined thresholds, but you can also change it to "Determine thresholds from included pages" (in case pages in the transaction are using dynamic thresholds, so they will be used)

Best regards, Alexey

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.