Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Edit OMi policies in sitescope

Jump to solution

We have BSM 9.23 with Sitescope 11.13 servers reporting to it.

How do I edit the default OMi policies on the sitescope server? There are too many informational messages flowing into the BSM servers and I want to stop them and send only critical ones.

I cant find a way to edit those policies. Can we directly edit the policy data files and redeploy the policy?

Appreciate any information on this.

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

I agree with Dmitry here - you should not stop these from being sent as they correlate with other events.
If you are using the event browser as your main tool(we do so) - then instead use a filter to only display warning/error messages.
This will cut down the amount of visible messages by a lot.

Primary question would be - how do you use your console? 🙂

I've added a screenshot of one of our simple dashboards which shows that we have 3000 events "active" - but is is filtered down to the handful that is actually relevant.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Bhanu,

You can’t edit/customize the default OMi policies because any change made to the default integration policies will be written in the event log only and not arriving to the HPOM Event Console/Operations Management Event Browser.

Also if you want to gather more information about this, you need consult this with the OMi Team

Regards.

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

0 Likes
Highlighted
You can edit these policies(and it is working if you know what you're doing) - but it is not supported or needed to do so.

Could you define "too many events" ?
Are you using a event log console to track your events?
Do you receive events which you don't need? (like CPU or others?)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi BKServer,

These are the informational messages like:

Metric 'FileSystems\/prod/msp/logs/mobl_logs\Use%' changed status from 'nodata' to 'good'

Metric 'status' changed status from 'nodata' to 'good'

which has the source info of

Policy Name: HP_SiteScope_to_Operations_Manager_Integration_by_Log_File(2.0)

we really dont need these messages as this is constituting more than 90% of the messages. Is there a way to stop these messages without editing the OMi policy on the scitescope server?

Appreciate all the assistance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You should not stop these messages from being sent to BSM. These messages will acknowledge/close previous non-normal messages and also will reset corresponding HIs back to OK status. So they are very important indeed.

If you don't want to see them in the OMi event browser, you can simply change the event template used by the monitors sending these mesages. Set "Log only" field to "True for normal severity". It will result in sending all such Normal messages directly to closed event browser in OMi.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I agree with Dmitry here - you should not stop these from being sent as they correlate with other events.
If you are using the event browser as your main tool(we do so) - then instead use a filter to only display warning/error messages.
This will cut down the amount of visible messages by a lot.

Primary question would be - how do you use your console? 🙂

I've added a screenshot of one of our simple dashboards which shows that we have 3000 events "active" - but is is filtered down to the handful that is actually relevant.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Dmitry and Bkserver, 

Thanks for your response and insight on this.

In our case, the normal messages are way too high compared to the ciritical and warnings. Here are the numbers for 1 day:

NORMAL

CRITICAL

WARNING

MINOR

MAJOR

all these normals do not constitute for correllation right? I just want to know a way to stop these unwanted normal messages.

p.s: i accidentaly hit the "accept solution" button instead of reply 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted
Normals do count for correlation.
I can't relate to the size of your sitescope - these numbers, are they the currently active messages or just the total number?
I'd be worried about the number of criticals/warnings/majors/minors(sure, depends on the granularity of checks).

For OMi Normal means 'A counter has changed from any state to "normal"'.
These aren't your 10 minute periodic events, OMi does not work with messages that do not change status.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.