Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Experts Forum Inquiry: How can I automate the feeding if new DB monitors to SiteScope.

Hello,

We are running SiteScope version 11.24 on Linux and monitor over 150 DB's

How can we most efficiently automate the adding of new DB monitors?   We would like to remove the requirement for us to manually add DB's.  

In this case Oracle DB's (but would also like information on automating Mongo and MySql)

To make the response most effective - could we please supply some sample information (below) and we can have the experts inform us on how to automate.

Are there multiple options or paths for automating and what are some pros and cons for each?

For our process - we would like to be able to retrieve/extract what current monitors we have (and hopefully the 'group' path they are under)
We would then compare that with what our single source of truth list of DB's to be monitored - then we would like to feed in additions.
Would also like to know how to 'automatically' delete DB monitors we no longer need.

In SiteScope we have 'Group' (folders and sub-folders) as below

DB Type

Oracle
  San Jose
    Prod - Page
    Prod-Non-Page
    Non-Prod
  UK
    Prod - Page
    Prod-Non-Page
    Non-Prod
  RTP
    Prod - Page
    Prod-Non-Page
    Non-Prod
etc....

MySQL

An example:
  San Jose --> Prod-Page --> tns entry --> monitor

tns entry:         bmsexample
    db query monitor:  Name: bmsexample on host: this_host OS: Linux(UCS)
         DB query monitor settings: jdbc:oracle:thin:@this_host.me.com:1521:bmsexample
                       database driver:   oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver
                       login
                       password
         query:    select sysdate from dual
         database machine name:  this_host

database connection settings
    monitor run settings
    threshold settings
    enable/disable monitor

If a template/templates are required - could you please supply a couple of examples (using information we can relate to)

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Labels (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

Hello,

I think you can use the SIteScope templates, take a look at the Using SiteScope guide, there you can find a detailed information on how to perform this (chapter 60).

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM02209041

Regards,

Allan D.

Allan Delgado Calderon
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the info - but, the doc you mention is not for the release we are on.

Does the process or outlined steps also work properly in 11.24?

Thanks and Regards,

0 Likes
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

Yes, are basically the same steps, however, find below the link to download the guide for SiteScope 11.24:

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM00979799

Regards,

Allan D.

Allan Delgado Calderon

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi Allen,

Thanks again - I'll read through it and see how it goes.

We had opened a case for this specific question - and actually had a call and spoke with tech support personnel who told us a 'canned' solution (if you will) was not available in 11.24 - so please excuse my skepticism.

Thanks and Regards,

Doug M.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi,

Next couple of questions.     All questions refer to monitoring Oracle DB's on a Linux host.  (NOT windows please)

How do I generate a list of the Oracle databases currently being monitored by SiteScope?

Between the list of currently monitored and the list of what should be monitored I can determine what new Oracle DB monitors need to be added.   I can also determine if any Oracle DB monitors need ot be removed from SiteScope.

So - not only would we like to know how (at the host OS level) to obtain a list of the hosts currently monitored - but also, how (on 11.24) can we automate the deleting of Oracle DB monitors we no longer need please?

Thanks in Advance,

Doug M.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi,

Next couple of questions.     All questions refer to monitoring Oracle DB's on a Linux host.  (NOT windows please)

How do I generate a list of the Oracle databases currently being monitored by SiteScope?

Between the list of currently monitored and the list of what should be monitored I can determine what new Oracle DB monitors need to be added.   I can also determine if any Oracle DB monitors need ot be removed from SiteScope.

So - not only would we like to know how (at the host OS level) to obtain a list of the hosts currently monitored - but also, how (on 11.24) can we automate the deleting of Oracle DB monitors we no longer need please?

Thanks in Advance,

Doug M.

0 Likes
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

Hello

To answer your questions:

"How do I generate a list of the Oracle databases currently being monitored by SiteScope?"

A/ You can generate a Monitor Report, then you can filter only the Oracle DB monitors to be shown.

"So - not only would we like to know how (at the host OS level) to obtain a list of the hosts currently monitored - but also, how (on 11.24) can we automate the deleting of Oracle DB monitors we no longer need please?"

A/ This is not possible, you must do it manually.

Regards,

Allan D.

Allan Delgado Calderon

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi Allan,

I am looking to automate the process of feeding new DB's that need to be monitored to SiteScope.

From a previous case we had opened and a conference call we had with the tech - we were told it's not possible.

From this forum post - you lead me to believe it is.  So, I am attempting to understand how to go about making this happen.

You had mentioned in a previous response I can use templates to automate this process.

I need my process to obtain a list of current DB's being monitored at the OS/Linux level.

Is there a directory which contains the DB's being monitored?

Or is there a file - which can be parsed from which I can obtain a list of the DB's?

Your response mentions generating a Monitor Report, filtering only the Oracle DB monitors. I assume this report is scheduled at the UI level - can it be written, stored or saved (automated) to the OS level where I can read and parse it?

Once I have automated the detection of and know the DB's I need to add - and have set up the needed templates - Will I be able to automate (again - at the OS/Linux level) the feeding of information to Sitecope and have the monitor added automatically?

Do you have any quesitons on what I am attempting to do?

Thanks and Regards,
Doug M.

0 Likes
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

Hello

I have mentioned that you can use templates in order to add the monitors (more than 1 monitor at a time), not to automate the process, sorry if I was not clear about it.

Regarding the monitor report, you can generate it from SiteScope UI:

1. Right click on SiteScope root:

MonitorReport1.PNG

2. Select monitors you want:

MonitorReport2.PNG

3. Once selected the monitors, run the report

MonitorReport3.PNG

4. You can generate the report in excel format, that way you will be able to apply the filter:

MonitorReport4.PNG

"Once I have automated the detection of and know the DB's I need to add - and have set up the needed templates - Will I be able to automate (again - at the OS/Linux level) the feeding of information to Sitecope and have the monitor added automatically?"

A/ There is a way to delete monitors automatically using the SiteScope API running it in a script, but there is no way to add monitors automatically using the SIteScope API, you must do it manually.

Regards,

Allan D. 

Allan Delgado Calderon

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.