ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Formula of how OA agent calculates CPU, Memory, Swap utilization

OA agent 12.04 on all unix flavours

We want to know how OA agent calculates per CPU, Global CPU, Memory and Swap utilization.

Please help us since end-users are complaining that CPU, Memory and Swap utilization is not accurate.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Can you explain why the end users think the values are not accurate?

Cheers,

Priya

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Priya

End-users have their own formulas to compute CPU, memory etc and they use this formula and when they find an alarm from OMi policy differs, they are raising.

Hence we want to know how OA agent collects performance metrics for CPU etc.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The information about performance metrics is documented here:

https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM02892306

If you want more details contact the support team.

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

my customer users complain because top and vmstat are realtime tools. so this is what can recommend

1) OA Agent collects performance data  every 300s. use the parm file to increase intervall of collected data to 15s . There is a policy in Infrastructure MP so you can deploy the settings on all agents.

2) this document helps to understand why top and OA agent data collectons differs:

https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM1149987

3) use the metric dictionary of the OA Agent  to understand what the metrics mean. i build dashboards with all metrics and the definitions side by side. so left the graphs , right the definiton. so its easier to identify which metrics are useful.

4) build your own dashboards as HP default Dashboards are not user friendly. e.g. change datapoints to raw so you can make use of the data collection intervall of 15s

5) if you use omi enable the realtime license of the agent (oalicense tool) so you can use the realtim emetrics. this license is included in opsbridge premium.

the features of the performance dashboards in Omi is very good, unfortunately most is not documented at all, especially how to build great dashboards. so reverse engeneering and try and error is the only option. not to mention that i found some defects on my journey. i build dozens of dashbord for one of my custumer, a global car manufacturer. now they start to get happy and ready to use it in daily operations.

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hi,

thats easy to explain.

the data collection intervall is at OA Agent 300s while User use top or vmstat.

the default Performance Dashboards are not really helpful as these lacks metric descriptions.

and understanding OA performance metrics and creating dashboards is painful as documentation is incomplete, misleading, and some stuff isnt just documented at all.

also i found some metrics collected by the agent are definitly inaccurate. HPE support is working on this.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.