Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Getting started with Windows server agents

Jump to solution
Hello Group,

My department just told us to install something called Windows OVO bits. I ran:
cscript opc_inst.vbs –srv rc-hp46 –force

And something was installed. Now I’m told that I can send messages to OVO from this Windows server. They want to see the success or fail of a few of my VB applications that I have running. According to the OVO administrator I can talk on the command line to OVO using OPC syntax and from my applications but they have no idea what the syntax is. My question to the group? Where do I get started learning how to send events and messages from a Windows server.

Thanks in Advance!

Life is complicated, so make it simple!
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
From a Windows Server with the Openview Agent Installed

start - run - cmd

C:\>opcmsg severity=warning a=a o=o msg_text=test node=etccalmpt

make sure to change the node name to the server name you are logged into.

You can also run an opcagt /? from the command prompt.

You may find this link helpful....
http://docs.hp.com/en/B7609-90022/ch02s05.html#d0e1359
http://www.linkedin.com/in/brandyreid
Say "Thanks" by clicking on Kudo's to the left 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
From a Windows Server with the Openview Agent Installed

start - run - cmd

C:\>opcmsg severity=warning a=a o=o msg_text=test node=etccalmpt

make sure to change the node name to the server name you are logged into.

You can also run an opcagt /? from the command prompt.

You may find this link helpful....
http://docs.hp.com/en/B7609-90022/ch02s05.html#d0e1359
http://www.linkedin.com/in/brandyreid
Say "Thanks" by clicking on Kudo's to the left 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thank you,

Where should the opcmsg command be? If the agent is installed is it in the Environ var so opcmsg can be run from anywhere?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I found opcmsg it is a vbs script and I had to change the OVO server host name to ours. I then ran your command with the right node name and it didn't do much of anything. I looked in the message browser hoping to find a message from an OTHER message group but I got nothing yet.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hmmm I just found a vbs script called testovo.vbs and it came-up with some pretty cool information.

opcmsga OVO Message Agent AGENT,EA (1508) Running
opcacta OVO Action Agent AGENT,EA (1560) Running
coda OV Performance Core AGENT,CODA (1620) Running
opcmsgi OVO Message Interceptor AGENT,EA (2488) Running

Message Agent is not buffering.

Does this mean anything???
0 Likes
Keith,

Is the OVO Server on unix or windows?

Is there an opcmsg template/policy on the managed node that either matches your opcmsg or is configured to forward unmatched conditions?

(from a cmd window run the command opctemplate)

Is the node in a node group on the Management Server for which you operator has responsibility?

Regards,
Norm
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
The OVO server is Unix.

The opctemplate command returns "No policies are installed on local host" This means that no template was pushed down or created on the OVO server? I am not in a position to create a template on the Unix OVO server. I was just hoping to be able to send messages to the OVO server and have them show-up in the message browser as "other" I just wanted to find out the syntax for sending messages to the OVO server. Am I getting ahead of myself?
0 Likes
Keith,

Yes you are getting ahead of yourself if there are no templates assigned.

Does your OVO server even know about your node?

From the OVO server as root:

opcragt -status

Should return agent status.

If is says something about not available, then you need to get your administrator to add it to OVO and then distribute actions, cmds, monitors, and at least the default opcmsg(1|3) template.

Regards,
Norm
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
The OVO server does know about this node it is listed in a group call Windows in the Managed Nodes Window on the OVO server. When I drill down on this node another window pops-up in OVO named after mynode with a single icon named OVO Alarm. I can see there are a few config options in the properties.
0 Likes
Keith,

Then the next step is to get the opcmsg templete/policy assigned and distributed to the node.

Once opctempalte shows the opcmsg template/policy, then a test opcmsg

opcmsg a=a o=o severity=warning msg_t="This is a test"

Should work

Regards,
Norm
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
In other words I must have a template created on the OVO server then have it pushed down to the node? If this is the only way to talk to the OVO from the command line from a managed node then you have answered my question?
0 Likes
Keith,

There must be a template assigned for the opcmsg to work.

The default OVO/U opcmsg(1|3) should be sufficient for test purposes.

Regards,
Norm
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.