Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Global search & replace in policies

Hi,

This need has arisen every now and then since my old OMW/OMU days; Is there a way with OBM (2019.05 Classic on Windows) to do mass update of policies with search & replace or similar? More specifically we would like to replace specific currently hard coded values/strings of a Custom Attribute with other values.

I can think of one or two ways of attacking this problem, but I also see a few challenges with them, so I won't mention them right now. I would rather like to ask whether any of you have ever found a way to perform such a mass-update of policies in OBM?

Cheers,
Frank

3 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

At the very least, as a first step, we could use a "Where-used" function that could show us all the policies where a search phrase appears in any policy.  Examples would be a parameter name, instruction text, application name, etc.

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Yes, agreed! I actually use DB-queries for that, but a great limitation is that in reality only the first 8000 bytes of each policy's content can be returned by SQL, so many instances of what I search for will be missed. I have actually made a separate posting recently regarding this and asked whether there is a way around it. Based on the (lack of...) responses so far, I fear that the answer is no 😞

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello Frank,

same here. I download all polices in Filesystem and then use grep, awk, sed to modify the polices then upload them again.

Check your other thread for the script that does the download.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.