Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HP BSM - capacity and trend report

Dear Experts,

We are currently using BSM 9.22 and SiteScope 11.22.

I was wondering how can I create a report from BSM that would give me some kind of trending report for our disk space.

So basically I would like to have some kind of prediction of how fast certain disk or filesystems are being filled up so that we can plan accordingly to add more disk space etc...

Any advice on this is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
New Member.

Hi Ryu,

I have something in mind , still not sure if it will suite you ,

You could just use the calculated metrics in SiS to calculate how fast a certain disk is filling up (for example you could calculate how fast the %full is growing and set a treshold on that).

Then you could see if some disks are filling up fast and take actions.

There may be diffrent implementations on that, still I could give you a sample example if you are interested.

Let me know what you think !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Yordan, it does sound interesting.
Can you please show me some samples?
Thanks,
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yordan,

I was wondering if you can show me examples per your previous post.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Hi Ryu,

I am sorry, here you are one example how to set a calculated metric to track the growth of the %full !

This is just an example you could modify this to fit your needs 🙂 .

Hope it helps !

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you haven’t tried it yet, come and join us in our entitled forums at Support Customer Forums
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yordan,
Thanks for the suggestion.
Can you please explain to me how you got that calculated metric so that I may understand and modify it to fit my needs?

Thanks,
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yordan,
Also please explain what this calculated metric measures or can you please provide an explanation for this?

Also I would like to create a calculated metric that would help provide some kind of forecast, depending on the rate that a disk grows, of when the disk will become full so that we know when to or how much disk space to add.

Thanks,
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Hi again,

First , the calculated metrics are available in a separate section in the monitor properties, called "Calculated metrics".

The calculated metrics allow you to use the current metrics (as provided by the monitor) and by applying different arithmetic and logical operations to create new one.

The example I showed is just a sample you may use a different expression on diffrent metrics to achieve results based on your needs.

The calculated metric from my example , does shows how fast the disk space usage grows , still you need to determine your self how t oset the trsholds for it or modify it if needed.

For example you may create another metric which woul go into error if the current grow of the %full is bigger than certain value and the available disc space is below certain value, this could be used as an indication that the disc space is used rapidly and more needs to be added. Still again it all depends on your needs and implementation, this is a powerfull tool and we just need to use it.

Hope it helps!

Yordan

Yordan Mirchev
HP Support

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.