Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

HP OMi 10.01 - How to create your own instrumentation?

Jump to solution

Hello,

We are implementing OMi 10.01 in our environment and We are getting a lot of doubts about this version, because don't have a lot of documentation and topics.

To monitor logs using the policy "LogFile Entry" you need to set the full path without wildcards, and if you want to use wildcard to get more than 1 file log or dynamic log file name, you need to run a command.

Ok, I developed a Generic Perl script to use Regex, but I don't know how to add this script in a instrumentation or create a new one, I need this to don't need to deploy this script to each agent.

Anyone knows how can I do this?

Thanks, 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hello Diego_Pereira,

inside a Logfile Policy you can also separate logfile names via " "/spaces. Means you could write:
Logfile: /tmp/test1.txt /tmp/test2.txt

Regarding instrumentation: You can create the instrumentation on the local file system and upload it into OMi (they are stored inside the Database). During upload you specify a category which you can reference inside the Aspect.
This can be done via the ConfigExchange tool (see -examples switch).
ConfigExchange.sh -createinstrumdir -output /tmp/myCategory
will create a intrumentation directory sample, then you put your files into the directory and upload it into OMi

In addition I want to mention the Structured Log File policy. With this policy it is possible to e.g. use the following syntax for logfiles (the syntax is a little bit different but also very powerful)
Logfile: /tmp/test<*>.txt

Kind regards,
Harald

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Fleet Admiral

Hello Diego_Pereira,

inside a Logfile Policy you can also separate logfile names via " "/spaces. Means you could write:
Logfile: /tmp/test1.txt /tmp/test2.txt

Regarding instrumentation: You can create the instrumentation on the local file system and upload it into OMi (they are stored inside the Database). During upload you specify a category which you can reference inside the Aspect.
This can be done via the ConfigExchange tool (see -examples switch).
ConfigExchange.sh -createinstrumdir -output /tmp/myCategory
will create a intrumentation directory sample, then you put your files into the directory and upload it into OMi

In addition I want to mention the Structured Log File policy. With this policy it is possible to e.g. use the following syntax for logfiles (the syntax is a little bit different but also very powerful)
Logfile: /tmp/test<*>.txt

Kind regards,
Harald

View solution in original post

Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hello Harald,

Thank you very much about the information to create the instrumentation, Do I need to run this in each GW or only in DPS or just in one GW?

About monitor more than 1 log, I didn't mentioned that We need somthing like "/tmp/log/<*>/log<>.txt", so in this case doesn't work.

About the Wildcard that you mentioned <*> doesn't work too as evidence below.

Regards,

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral

Hello,

• uploading of instrumentation is needed only once (it is stored in the DB)
  • the logfile policy cannot handle "wildcards" -> you need to use the structured logfile policy for it

Kind regards,
Harald

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I may be missing something , how do i actually upload the instrumentation ? i used the configexchange command but it did not seem top populate anything.

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Harald

After uploading instrumentation to OMI, how can I deploy it to monitored nodes, please can you advise.

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Hi Ramesh,

You need to tell your policy that it uses the instrumentation "myCategory":

If you edit the policy, there is a drop down list at the bottom called "Instrumentation. Check the instrumentation category "MyCategory" and save the policy.

Then deploy it to the relevant node and the instrumentation should be deployed as well. Check the OvAgentDir/bin/instrumentation directory for your script.

I hope this helps.

Martina

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.