Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HP Reporter Installation Help

Jump to solution

Need help installing HP Reporter 3.9 (if not right formum then direct me there and I will re-post)

I have HP Operations Manager for Windows V9 running on a Windows 2008 R2 server.

I need to install HP Reporter 3.9 on a Windows 2008 Enterprise 32-bit server, since Reporter is not ported to 64-bit yet, per documentation.

My 32-bit server is ready, do I need to create a system DSN ODBC connection to the OMW server database first?  When I do that the install says it found the "reporter" DNS and will use it and the install finishes just fine.  However when starting Reporter I get all kinds of errors.  The only guide I have found references OMW V8.16 and does not discuss OMW V9.

Anyone have the documented steps for running HP Reporter from a seperate server than the Operations Manager server?

Thanks,

JON

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Needed to have the DBA create the "reporter" database in advance, and the domain user needs to be the database owner or have db_owner role.  Then after the install set the logon account on the Reporter Service in the windows services.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Jon,

However when starting Reporter I get all kinds of errors. 

Could you please update us what errors exactly you are getting..

and, i am not sure whether this will help, but check this once...

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1190086

Summary:How to avoid installation issues when trying to run Reporter on a 64bit Windows 2008 system.

When installing Reporter 3.8 or 3.9 on a 64bit Windows 2008 Server or Windows 2008 R2 Server, several different issues may be encountered.

A few common ones will be:

1) Installation fails and rolls back after failing to install the default 32bit SQL Express database on a 64bit OS, even if a DSN pointing to a different Reporter DB (remote or local) has already been configured.

2) Installation succeeds, but the Reporter Service fails to run saying it can't log on to the DB because of an invalid username/password, even when the DSN connection test succeeds and the username/password have been configured in the Reporter GUI.

3)  The Reporter Service seems to be running, but the scheduled tasks are not running.

Solution

1)  When installing Reporter on a 64bit Windows 2008 or 2008 R2 Server, be aware that the SQLExpress installation will fail, causing the Reporter install to roll back.  The reason for this is that the default SQLExpress DB that ships with Reporter is a 32bit only application, and the installer will not run on a 64bit OS.

It is necessary to use a different database backend (SQL Server 2005, 2008 or Oracle, be it remote or local, should work just fine). 

When installing a Reporter instance that will be using a DB backend different from the default SQLExpress, it will be necessary to set up the ODBC connection (Reporter DSN) pointing to the DB backend, before the Reporter installer is executed.  This way, the installer will detect the existing DSN and will skip the 32bit SQLExpress installation.  However, it is important to note that Windows 2008 has both a 64bit and a 32bit ODBC Admin tool, and they both handle a separate registry.  32bit applications, such as Reporter, can't see the DSNs created with the 64bit DSN admin tool, and 64bit applications can't see 32bit DSNs either.

The ODBC Admin Tool in Windows 2008 Control Panel is 64bits only, and the Reporter installer will look for a 32bit DSN, therefore creating a Reporter DSN via Windows 2008's Control Panel will cause the Reporter Installer to insist on installing the default 32bit SQLExpress DB, as it is unable to see the 64bit DSN created.  To work around this, the 64bit DSN should be removed and a new Reporter DSN should be created using the 32bit ODBC tool in C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\odbcad32.exe, as this is the 32bit ODBC Admin tool.

2)  If installation succeeds, but the Reporter Service fails to run with an error message similar to this one: "The Reporter service failed because of a database error; ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied", check the newdb trace file in %ovdatadir%.  The trace will probably show that that newdb is trying to connect to the database using the default "openview" username and password and is failing.  Check the Reporter DSN under the ODBC Admin tool and ensure that the connection test returns successful.

If the DB has been configured with a username/password different from the default "openview" values, yet the trace file shows newdb using the default "openview" values, then newdb will fail to connect and generate the tables and indexes on the DB.  Now, why is newdb trying to connect to the DB using a different username/password that the one you defined in the Reporter GUI, under File --> Configure --> Databases?

If  User Access Control (UAC) is enabled on the system, Reporter and all of its sub-processes will not be allowed to modify the Registry.  Check the following two Registry keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\VirtualStore\\MACHINESOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\Hewlett-Packard\\The Reporter\\CurrentVersion
  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\Hewlett-Packard\\The Reporter\\CurrentVersion  

It may be seen that the username/password defined in the Reporter GUI shows up in the first registry key, under DBUser, yet the second registry key shows the default "openview" username.

Under normal circumstances, Reporter will only save username/password data to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\Hewlett-Packard\\The Reporter\\CurrentVersion, therefore, it is coded to read the DB credentials from that registry key however, when UAC is enabled, the registry is virtualized. 

Virtualization basically means that applications are prevented from writing to System Folders in Windows 2008's file system and ALSO to the 'machine wide keys' in the registry.  However, this does not prevent standard user accounts from installing or running applications.  In Windows 2008, the UAC utilizes the Registry Virtualization Feature, to redirect attempts to write to subkeys of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software. When an application attempts to write to this registry hive, Windows 2008 writes it to a per-user location, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\VirtualStore\\Machine\\Software instead.

To get around this issue, either disable UAC, or configure Reporter to run in the elevated mode (Admin Privileges) always. Steps to do so are as below:

[To perform the following procedure, log into a client computer as a member of the local administrator's group]

i.   Right-click on the Reporter icon
ii.  Click Properties, and then select the Compatibility tab.
iii. Under Privilege Level, select Run this program as an administrator, and then click OK.

This should allow the username/password from the Reporter GUI to be defined, and the changes will be recorded under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software instead of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\VirtualStore\\Machine\\Software. 

3)  The third possible issue, scheduled tasks not running, is also caused by UAC.  Since UAC restricts any application (except default applications) from running as administrator by default, Reporter is not allowed to modify the registry settings and therefore cannot schedule the tasks to run.

The workaround for this issue is the same as for item #2 above: enable Reporter to run with Admin Privileges.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the detailed post.

Note, like I mentioned, I am NOT trying to install Reporter on a 64-bit server, my Reporter server is 32-bit.

However this may be related to the UAC information you posted and I will try those tricks.

I will install again and post any errors.

lastly, all I need to do to start the install is create a DSN connection to the OpenView server hosting the OpenView database right?  And call this DNS "reporter", right?  I am assuming the the installation will create the reporter database on the remote server.

JON

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Still no luck with running Reporter after the installation.

I think I have an issue with the DNS configuration.  I look at my old server that has OpenView and Reporter installed on the same node and the DSN configuration has a setting, "Change the default Database to..." and this is set as "reporter".  Now, my new OpenView server does not have a database named reporter yet, I was assuming that the install would create that database on the target server\instance, but this does not happen.  So my querstion now is...

Do I need to create the "reporter" database in advance on the remote database server?

Additionally, if this install uses a default user/password of "openview/****", does anyone know the default password for "openview"?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Needed to have the DBA create the "reporter" database in advance, and the domain user needs to be the database owner or have db_owner role.  Then after the install set the logon account on the Reporter Service in the windows services.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi All,

I have the third problem: I have installed HP Reporter on Windows Servers 2003 without problems. When I try to run some task (for example Run All), on the GUI appears "please wait for scheduler to launch request" and nothing happen.

I think that is a problem with scheduler, but I start HP Reporter as Administrator, and on Windows Server 2003 UAC is not present.

Could you please help me?

Thank you.

Best Regards

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.