Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Having issues with OBM Server Self Monitoring from ITOM Marketplace on OBM 10.70

I have followed the notes in the 2.21 OBM Server Monitoring (Contrib) Readme, including the relevant troubleshooting steps, but most of my dashboards are still showing lots of "0" and "N/A" values.

Should most of the content work on our version?  Our OBM is 2018.05 | Build: 10.70.007.001, and our agents are 12.06.007.

Looking at the DPS and GW servers (on Windows 2012), I see that our agent processes are not running as the Service Account that our OBM processes run as.  We can only run most of the OBM command-line tools as the Service Account - would this present an issue for the policies?

Thanks,
Aaron

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

It should work with OBM 2018.05 (10.70).  I had used it on Linux HA with Oracle DB.  I could imagine that there might be a problem if your DB is MSSQL and you use Windows authentication.  I didn't explicitly use that combination.  Troubleshooting would come down to knowing which metrics are not being collected (the output of "ovcodautil -dumpds OMi" on GW and DPS will help with that).

CP.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Carol,

Thanks for the quick reply ... OBM in Windows with MSSQL and Windows authentication is *exactly* what we are using ...

I have attached the output of the coda commands on a DPS and GWS.

Regards,
Aaron

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The GW looks ok, but I see that you are missing the event pipeline statistics on the DPS.  I have a couple of suggestions.  These worked for me, so let's see if it works for you. The first change is simply to get the opr-jmxClient.bat CLI to work.  The second change is to get opr-jmxCient.bat to work when it is executed by the agent.  Let me know if it you only had to do the first change or if both changes were needed to address the issue.

Edit %TOPAZ_HOME%\opr\support\opr-jmxClient.bat

Find this line that runs the java command:
%JAVA% %MY_JAVA_OPTS% %JVM_FIPS_OPTS% %CLASSPATH% com.hp.opr.fnd.cli.JMXClient %ALL_ARG%

Add this line immediately before it:
cd /d %TOPAZ_HOME%\bin

Save the file.

In Windows Services, change the Operations Agent service to start up as the same Windows user that you use for starting the OBM service.

CP.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks for the suggestions.

How soon should the fixes take effect?  If I just update the .bat file, will I have to wait minutes or hours to see a difference?  Also, do I need to stop/start anything, or is the .bat file re-read every time?

Thanks,
Aaron

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If the agent is not running as the same Windows user as the OBM service then you would not only need to change the user that the agent runs as, but you would need to restart the agent.

For the opr-jmxClient.bat file, all you need to do is make the change and it will be picked up next time the policy runs. The policy runs every 5 minutes. If you don't see anything in "ovcodautil -dumpds OMi" for the pipeline steps on the DPS after say 10 minutes, then you could try restarting the agent, but that shouldn't be necessary.

CP.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.