Captain
Captain

How long does the upgrade process take from BAC to BSM?

I am curious to what other people experiences have been on how long it took them to go through all of the steps in the BSM Upgrade Wizard? It is taking a very long time to for us to go past the "Configuration Upgrade" step of the process.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Cadet 1st Class Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Factoring in the time spent with HP Support to resolve the various failures the Upgrade Wizard encountered that were out of our control, 2 months.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi,

Assuming the Upgrade teething problems are dealt with and documented in a test environment and when the same is applied for Live environment as a staging upgrade, how long should it take to upgrade from BAC v7.x to BSM v9.2

Regards,

Parag

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

ParagC,

Each environment has its own challenges but in a nut-shell, picture the fact that you have to bring BAC 7.x  at the right level (I think 7.55), then upgrade to BAC 8.07 (stagging / direct: Stagging require additional HW).

. .Validate your hardware & software requirements,

... run  pre-upgrade tool

.... fix any DB issues

..... familiarize yourself with BSM capacity calculator and Decide if stagging or Direct then go thru the upgrade process to BSM 9.2

May take weeks but if planned well it could be days :).  If I may suggest, try it with a copy of your DB and work on these steps from scratch to build you own know-how. 

HTH/Tarif

Premium Services
“If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thanks Tarif.

I was referring to the overall upgrade time only for the DB.

The complete upgrade will take even more time taking into consideration the BPMs upgrade(which might involve the scripts as well) as I guess BSM does not support any BPM velow v8.x

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Total duration was around six months for us, 4 months spent waiting on HP to provide fixes and resolve issues. If you are talking about the db upgrade, really that depends on the size of your profile db and the type of storage/disk performance where the db is located. For us a 40GB profile db took around 7 hours on tier 2 SAN, there are many stages of the upgrade, however the historical data upgrade part took the longest.
On our DEV SAN with our DEV installation this stage took well over three days. I have heard of profile db's being up to 800GB in size which would obviously take days longer.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

asking this question you will get a different reply from each one of us. after going through the upgrad process from bac to bsm a bunch of times now in different customer environments i can say that it has been different every time. best case with a rather small deployment was approximately 48 hours with some minor fixing in the DB. worst case was about 6 weeks with a ongoing support case and complex database problems. on a very high level i would recommend these things:

- run the pre upgrad tool and fix the issues. and i mean really fix them

- go thourgh the upgrade process on your test/integration environment. the test environment should be as similar as possible.

- DO NOT change anything on the DB side while working on the upgrade. means do not upgrade or patch the DB at the same time.

- make sure to have vaild backups for the DB and for the server (VMs).

also i would recommend to read the documentation for the upgrade. solid planning and documentation can be a big help here.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.