Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to capture SNMP trap information arriving on my OVO management server?

Jump to solution

Good morning!

As part of a troubleshooting process, I'm trying to find a tool that would capture SNMP trap information arriving from SNMP-enabled devices and being directed to my OVO management server.  I've noted references to snmptrapd, but I'm having difficulty finding an install package for my HP-UX 11.23 system.  I've also thought about using a network sniffer to grab this information.  Ultimately, I'm interested in seeing the incoming OID information in order to confirm that what is being sent from the device is being received in its complete form on the OVO server prior to it being processed in a policy.  Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

If you use HP OMU 8.x, then you can try NNM tool - ovdumpevents

ovdumpevents - dump the contents of the NNM event database

It can be run like runtime mode

-t        Tail the output (continuously watch for new event without
                returning).

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

deploy the SNMP interceptor template on the OVO server (it called NNM_Events) or you can customize your SNMP template to capture certain OIDs 

Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

In the policy log unmatched events, or if in OVOU (on top on NNM) look in the NNM binary event store

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

If you use HP OMU 8.x, then you can try NNM tool - ovdumpevents

ovdumpevents - dump the contents of the NNM event database

It can be run like runtime mode

-t        Tail the output (continuously watch for new event without
                returning).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Try Wireshark. In our case it gawe nice information about SNMP content on network level, avoiding the server.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.