Commodore Commodore
Commodore

How to handle KPI propagation between Business Service CI:s?

Hi!

I am trying to understand how to handle KPI propagation between different CI-types.

Let say we have 4 Business Services.

Service1, Service2, Service3, Service4.

Between some of this Services we have BusinessTransactions. An example:

Service2 -> Containment-> Business TransactionA -> Usage -> Service1

Service3 -> Containment-> Business TransactionB -> Usage -> Service 2

Service4 -> Containment-> Business TransactionC _> Usage -> Service3

Service1 -> Containment-> Business TransactionD-> Usage -> Service4

If you follow the links it gives us some kind of chain that goes around...

The impact of the Business Transactions are different. Some might be critical while another has almost no impact.

How should you handle KPI propagation? If we for instance pretend we are using the HI Application Availability (with the same named KPI). 

Service1 gets Critical Status, if we in KPI Assignments for Business Service has worst status rule for the Application Availability KPI, it causes the Business TransacationA to get Critical status aswell, and if we also have worst status rule in KPI Assignment for Business Transacation, Service2 also should get Critical status and then Service2 causes Business TransactionB to get critical status and so on? 

Right now we have some strange behavior with alot of CI:s having status unknown but I guess that could be because its the first time they gets the KPI:s?

Well, my question is how you should handle it? We dont want every ci in the chain having critical status just because Service1 is out of order? I know you can have percentage rule (and sibling rules), is this the right way to go?

Is it possible to for instance check the businesscriticality attribute of a BusinessTransaction to handle the KPI propagation and status? 

Maybe I have missunderstood how KPI status propagation works.

Would be fantastic if someone could lead me on the right way! 

Wbr / Fredrik

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Frederik,

I hope you are doing well,

Let me search some information regarding this and I will be getting back to you.

Thanks

Edward Campos

Regards,

Edward Campos Monge.
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.”
0 Likes
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

I have noticed that we have 2 links that causes "Cyclic links"

Wrong Calculation Results When the Model Includes a Cycle
OBM calculations do not support cycles in the Impact model; cycles are broken randomly, and calculation results do not include CIs in the cycle or their parent CIs.
In order to verify whether you have cycles in your model, access the JMX Console: https://<Data Processing Server>:29800/ > Calculation Adapter > getCyclicLinks.

I really don´t understand how you should handle this. I mean, for sure you will have several Business Service that impacts each other in cyclic terms.

System A usage System B

System B usage System C

System C usage System A

How do you handle KPI propation and status changes with this setup? 

Maybe I have missunderstood something really basic.... will try to read some more... 

Wbr / Fredrik

0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Did you try to create a logical relationships/triplets between C to A or A to B like Dependency/Impact By Direct/Potentially using Enrichment Rule ,then Try to use TBEC rule for Cause/Symtom it should propogate the KPI from Cause event till target as Symtom.

Hope it works if not let me know !!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.