Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Captain
Captain

Hyper-V Datasource integration without SCVMM server

Jump to solution

Hello experts,

We have a Hyper-V deployment with 4 hosts in a cluster. The customer does not have SCVMM server since they manage the VM's and hosts on the Hyper-V administrator tools available on the server administration windows on any of the 4 hosts.

Is there any other way to add the Hyper-V Datasource? (The deployment does not have a proxy server either)

Thanks in advance,

Angel

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Angel,

Not having a SCVMM server is not a problem.  However, a proxy server is required to collect data for Hyper-V datasources.

There is a light-weight agent (vPVWinVirtCollector) that runs on the proxy host.  This agent is the collector that communicates and collects the data from the Hyper-V servers.  The agent then sends the data to the CO server.  The CO server itself does not run the collector for Hyper-V.  It is run on the proxy host.

You can add multiple target (Hyper-V) hosts to the configuration of the collector agent (vPVWinVirtCollector.properties) and add all four Hyper-V servers to one proxy.  The proxy can be a VM on one of the Hyper-V servers themselves.  That is how I have it configured within my environment.

Now, will it recognize them as a cluster, that part I do not know.   However, the data collection occurs every 5 minutes by default.  Any VM movement should be tracked by the data collection.

I hope that this is helpful and helps answer your questions.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
Micro Focus SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Angel,

Not having a SCVMM server is not a problem.  However, a proxy server is required to collect data for Hyper-V datasources.

There is a light-weight agent (vPVWinVirtCollector) that runs on the proxy host.  This agent is the collector that communicates and collects the data from the Hyper-V servers.  The agent then sends the data to the CO server.  The CO server itself does not run the collector for Hyper-V.  It is run on the proxy host.

You can add multiple target (Hyper-V) hosts to the configuration of the collector agent (vPVWinVirtCollector.properties) and add all four Hyper-V servers to one proxy.  The proxy can be a VM on one of the Hyper-V servers themselves.  That is how I have it configured within my environment.

Now, will it recognize them as a cluster, that part I do not know.   However, the data collection occurs every 5 minutes by default.  Any VM movement should be tracked by the data collection.

I hope that this is helpful and helps answer your questions.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your response, the VM solution seems good. Are there any minimum system requirements for the proxy server? I suppose a small VM could work well taking into account its only purpose is to run the collector right?

Thanks again,

Angel

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Angel,

Unfortunately, there are no documented requirements for the lightweight collector (vPVWinVirtCollector) running on the proxy host.

My proxy server has 1 CPU with 2GB of RAM and it works fine for my one Hyper-V server.  The factors that comes into play is how many Hyper-V servers are you monitoring and how big are they?

You could try a small server and then watch how the collection works (vPVWinVirtCollector.log).  Assuming that data is collected properly, then you should be good.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
Captain
Captain

Hello Mark,

That's great, I will try then with a small VM and see how it works.

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards,

Angel

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.