Commander Commander
Commander

Maximum Event Count in new OBM HTLM5 Event Perspective

Jump to solution

Hi,

Could you please advise, which is the maximum tested and advised value for the following OBM infrastructure setting:
Operations Management - User Interface Settings - Maximum Event Count

We have OBM distributed, large environment setting and I've tested with the value 50000 (20000 is OOTB value) and as a result Event Browser become freezing and our Event Database grew up to ~50GB.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hello,

the answer is "it depends".  

I am dealing with customers who are running a far higher event count.

When the Event Browser is freezing after applying this setting I would suggest to have a look at the OBM Performance page and check the jvm statistic values. It pretty much looks like your are running out of memory once you put more load at this point.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hello,

the answer is "it depends".  

I am dealing with customers who are running a far higher event count.

When the Event Browser is freezing after applying this setting I would suggest to have a look at the OBM Performance page and check the jvm statistic values. It pretty much looks like your are running out of memory once you put more load at this point.

View solution in original post

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,
there seems to be something very strange in your environment and why should the event database grow, when you want to display the events in the OBM HTML-based event browser.

As best as I know, the OBM2020.05 event browser is loading the add'l events on demand as you scroll down thru your event list.

If not yet done, I recommend to open a corresponding MF Support case to better understand your environment and issue.

Regards,

Patrik

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

In additional to above response, you can archive old events from DB using opr-archive-events.

Regards,
Vinayaka Rao
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Identify noisiest policies

use OOTB tools EventStatisticsUtil.sh –l

List of Top Nodes generating events and Top policy generating events for analysis by OBM tool admin and fine policy to reduce events

Rgds

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

for a customer with a special use case we did the following:

• Increased Mercury AS to 12 GB HEAP
  • Increased opr-backend to 6 GB HEAP
  • Increased Operations Management - User Interface Settings - Maximum Event Count to 500.000

This  increases the amount of active events the OBM server caches / can deliver to the clients before purging mode starts.

Have the following in mind:

• Depending on your needs event correlation cache size might also needed to be increased
  • OBM server startup will take an additional 45min to load Events from DB
  • The maximum number of active events in HTML event browser (64bit chrome ) was ~75.000
  • Also it takes minutes for the browser to load this amount of active events, beyond it stucks
  • The idea of OBM is to present much less active events filtered by views and event filters
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.