Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Modelling Best practice

Jump to solution

Hello Experts ,

I need some advice on modelling , dashboard, views and view security.   I believe this is a very common use case, but here it is.

I am monitoring a bunch of applications, we have an business unit that has app manager who oversee a bunch of applications, and there is an appowner who owns the app. and there is a infrastructure group who owns the infrastructure part.  Each app is running on a server and connected to database and so on. 

The requirement is each type of user should only see what's relevant to them, so app manager will see all apps under him(read only) , app owner will see only the app that he owns. Infrastructure team should only see  infrastructure part of IT

How do I go about designing my models, Do i just need one model for the app, and depending on the role create views to show only certain CIs in the model. For a infrastructure person, I also need to show which apps got affected by an infrastructure event.( May be Related CIs)

I am going through models and perspectives which i think would be the right fit for this, but if you could share your knowledge that would be very helpful

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

you have 2 options:

1) in the view, use compound relationship to go "upstream" until you reach a Business Element.
or
2) use the OOTB capability for Business Impact which for every CI will go "upsteam" to find which Business CIs are impacted by it. you can reach it via context menu or in the Hierarchy (360 view) select a CI and click on the Business Impact link.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can find more info in the Effective Modeling best practices.

for your question, yes, you need to Model the apps once and then using Views you will give each user view to see only what he/she needs to view.

I like to represent this with this formula: Model + Perspective = View

you model once, but with different perspective you will create different views, for different users.

the App modeling should be the same for all users. you model your App only once, because that it is the "truth" for that App. then using perspective (or any other approach) you can create different views.

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you..That best practices guide is really good. 

If a create a perspective for infrastructure team, showing their views starting at infrastructure level.  Somewhere on their dashboard i want to show the apps that it affects. It's like going up the CI hierarchy.  How can i do that?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

you have 2 options:

1) in the view, use compound relationship to go "upstream" until you reach a Business Element.
or
2) use the OOTB capability for Business Impact which for every CI will go "upsteam" to find which Business CIs are impacted by it. you can reach it via context menu or in the Hierarchy (360 view) select a CI and click on the Business Impact link.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, Let me try option 1 . The model already has the relationship from Business CI to the infrastructure, I am just hiding business CIs in Infrastructure perspectives top view. I will have to unhide that on one component  in the dashboard . 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.