Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Monitor Netapp & 3par with OBM

Jump to solution

Greetings,

we are doing a POC for OBM, we want to monitor netapp and 3par storage devices. we want that the OBM will pull the data and wont be pushed into.

is that possible? (like a management pack for these - couldnt find any)

I know that i can use "ocum" to monitor the storage and send snmp traps to OBM & mib2policy the netapp mib to translate the traps, but i wonder if these is something that is exist?

for example on PRTG these monitor comes OOTB (through snmp but it comes without making any effort):

• Free space for snapshots in percent and total
  • Busy snapshots in percent
  • Age of latest snapshot
  • Age of oldest snapshot
  • Total bytes of snapshots
  • Number of snapshots
  • Free physical bytes in percent and total
  • Free size in percent and total
  • Free files in percent and total
  • Compression savings in percent and total
  • Deduplication savings in percent and total
  • Total savings in percent and total

I know i can load a mib and start creating these myself, but the POC demend wants to see this comes OOTB.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

you can create a mesurement treshold policy for SNMP to pull required values. but you need to know the UIDs. But i guess this is some work. I once tried this years ago. NNMi is the tool that is made for SNMP polling.

what i did for a similar problem was to create a script that does an SNMPWalk and gets all values  into a file and parse it , normalize it and create events with opcle and move perfdata into CODA with structured metric policy.

SNMP traps and pulling SNMP data are 2 total different things for different use cases. PRTG/Nagios and all of these tools has a lot of issues parsing traps thats why these try to use SNMP polling instead. But SNMP Traps are Real time while pulling can only be done in intervalls. Polling also has other disadvantages over traps when it comes to event alarming. For perf data polling is great.

Also instead of using SNMP traps, a lot of storage devices offers Syslog. Syslog can be easily parsed with opcle also in huge amounts. opcle is configurable for  multithread. parsing logs is also a taks task is very difficult for PRTG/Nagios. thats why they dont like to do this and just pull SNMP data.

check this out. its old but still covers this topic:

http://doc.agrarix.net/netapp/tr/tr-3688.pdf

just another idea. find out if there is an open source tool that can do the polling by reading the MIB file and use this tool to feed the Agent with events and perf data.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

you can create a mesurement treshold policy for SNMP to pull required values. but you need to know the UIDs. But i guess this is some work. I once tried this years ago. NNMi is the tool that is made for SNMP polling.

what i did for a similar problem was to create a script that does an SNMPWalk and gets all values  into a file and parse it , normalize it and create events with opcle and move perfdata into CODA with structured metric policy.

SNMP traps and pulling SNMP data are 2 total different things for different use cases. PRTG/Nagios and all of these tools has a lot of issues parsing traps thats why these try to use SNMP polling instead. But SNMP Traps are Real time while pulling can only be done in intervalls. Polling also has other disadvantages over traps when it comes to event alarming. For perf data polling is great.

Also instead of using SNMP traps, a lot of storage devices offers Syslog. Syslog can be easily parsed with opcle also in huge amounts. opcle is configurable for  multithread. parsing logs is also a taks task is very difficult for PRTG/Nagios. thats why they dont like to do this and just pull SNMP data.

check this out. its old but still covers this topic:

http://doc.agrarix.net/netapp/tr/tr-3688.pdf

just another idea. find out if there is an open source tool that can do the polling by reading the MIB file and use this tool to feed the Agent with events and perf data.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.
hey andreask,
thanks for a detailed reply!
you link seems like a good thing to test and check. i know that snmp trap is way better than acctually polling, but my supervisor wants to know if there is a build-in function available through the OBM itself.
I've also posted the same question on the NNMi forums to see if there is some kind of an addon to do that.
i know that NNMi should be the tool to monitor such thing.

Thank you!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

As we compete also with other "vendors" i also look for a solution to enable the agent to do SNMP polling just using a MiB. But at the moment i dont know a solution. my idea was to find a open source command line tool that loads the mib and do the poling and feed agent. Or write a perl script that generates a policy out of a mib. Similar to mib2 policy.sh and use the agent for polling.

There are some variables that can be set in the agent that points that that Agent is able to read  MIBs but i never found out how this works. My guess is that this is a relict of the NNMi integration to work with NNM Traps.

Write Carol Park, may be she knows a solution. I am interessted, too.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.
I have just sent her a message.
if a new and better solution will come from her end i will make sure to post it in here.

Thanks a lot!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

I fall over this by accident.

https://packetpushers.net/bash-and-net-snmp-a-low-budget-high-frequency-snmp-poller/

So with some code around this may push metric data into the OA Agent.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.
Hello Andreask,
Thank you for the reply!
Carol also replied to me and she said that sadly she doesnt have a better solution than what you provided 😞
unfortunatly this is not what i've been looking for, im dealing with a person who is used to something and trying to change his mindset takes time...

Thanks a lot for your time!
Sadly i couldnt find either MP / Template for monitoring Netapp (which supposed to be done with SNMP Trap from ocum)
and Also brocade...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

you can create a Policy for OCUM using mib2policy tool. Worked for me.

I am OOO until mid of August so i cant send you the one i created. but its not that difficult, this will help:

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Operations-Bridge-User/Translate-MIB-to-a-Policy/td-p/996900

As some of my customer still not satisfied with  this kind of mnitoring I will look into how to improve the monitoring OCUM  when i am back. Let you know if i get something new.

SNMP Polling with OA Agent will also work only on SNMP Gauges. Implement counters will be more difficult. I still looking into a a solution e.g. a script that creates a policy from SNMP Walk output. But as there is no customer demand at the moment its not high priority yet.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hi Andreas,

Welcome back 🙂

Have you investigated the OCUM-track any further? I am currently involved in a similar PoC with my cu and I am considering the various options. Two ideas I've had is to either poll the OCUM (MySQL) DB by means of an OC with an Event from DB policy, or that OCUM sends alerts to the REST API of an OC/OA. But it would be great to hear how you reason as well!

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello Frank,

Customer is slow because  of Corona.

Anyway, at the moment the use the Policy that i created out of the MIB.  I can share this one with you.

Didnt get any feedback yet if this is enough. but i think we have meeting on monday i will ask and keep you updated.

But your approach sounds good as well. I will ask them for DB access. Will not use the Event from DB Policy yet as it needs BSMC. but i think with a small script this will work, too. Except you found out where to copy the JDDBC libs so normal agent can do this.

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Thanks, Andreas,

I wouldn't mind a copy af that SNMP policy, just in case. Although my cu thinks that an SNMP based solution is somewhat eighties, and I don't blame them...

Like we've discussed previously, it should probably be possible to make that DB policy work with an ordinary OA, but in our case we have a couple of OCs already, and we can even install a new one if needed, so we're okay, nonetheless.

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.