Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Monitoring Linux Run Queue on HPOA v8.6.xx

I cannot for the life of me find out how this is done. There is no policy in the OSSPI, so is it done?

Cheers,

Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Account_Closed
Not applicable

Hi, you need to write  a policy to monitor the metric GBL_RUN_QUEUE. Usually the warning threshold for this on Linux is the number of cores/processors + 1. i.e. if there are 4 cores/kernel threads available then the lowest threshold is 5. I would wait to check if this lasts for at least 3 intervals (15 mins, say) to send out an alert. Set higher thresholds at 6, 7,...

Rather than look at the GBL_RUN_QUEUE which is a value that is obtained just at that point, you can also look at the GBL_LOADAVG or GBL_LOADAVG5 metrics which give the state of the system summarized over a given period of time. I would keep the same thresholds in this case.

Finally, you could also use the couple of policies with the InfraSPI (specifically SISPI) which monitor GBL_LOADAVG metric in a thresholded way or using adaptive baseline approach.

SI-CPUBottleneckDiagnosis

SI-RunQueueLengthMonitor-AT

If you plan to start using the InfraSPI i would recommend looking at feasibility to use the latest 11.1x agents - the InfraSPI is bundled in with this agent package.

HTH

- ramd

Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

What is the threshold value? Client seems to think it can be set to 50.....? I think they have missed how Run Q is measured, do you know or can you explain it to me please?

0 Likes
Account_Closed
Not applicable

Captain, i have given the answer above. a lowest threshold would start with the number of CPUs + 1 persisting for at least 3 intervals.

0 Likes
Account_Closed
Not applicable

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.