New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

OMW 8.1 - This message has been modified externally and needs to be refreshed?

Jump to solution
Hi all,

I'm probably missing something really obvious, but I'm hoping that someone can help with a small issue I've got after upgrading from OVOW 7.5 to OMW 8.1.

Everything else is running pretty smoothly considering I'm fairly new to this Openview stuff, but I've come across a very minor (but really annoying) problem which I can't remember having seen before the upgrade (although I couldn't swear to that).

At seemingly random times, when you acknowledge a message, you get the attached pop up about a 'Refresh Needed'. Okay, so you can hit 'Apply' and it goes away and the message is acknowledged, but this means having to click twice. If you've got a couple of hundred messages to go through, that's a pain!

It happens whether you're working on a remote console or the OMW server directly.

Our setup is OMW 8.1 running on Windows 2003 server. Consoles all on Windows XP SP3. Both are running the latest OMW_00058 patch.

I struggling to figure out exactly what this pop up means, so can't be specific enough in my forum searches / googling to find out how to get rid of it!

I've had a look through the OMW help and Server Configuration settings, but can't see anything obvious.

Hopefully I'm just being dumb and have missed a tick box somewhere 😉

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mac
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
This has been fixed in 9.0/Patch 90.
It should happen less often. If it still happens too often for you, you can configure in the Console Properties that it should always apply your changes.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Hello,

this happens due to this:
- You have opened the message properties and changed something (without pressing apply)
- In the meantime someone else (e.g. the OMW Server itself or another operator) has also changed the message
Now you are asked what should be done (reload the message properties and skip your changes or discard your changes and reload the message)

Kind regards,
Harald
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fleet Admiral
In addition here is an example:

- Message 1 has severity "normal"
- Operator 1 changes severity of message 1 to "minor" and applies the changes
- Operator 2 has also changed the severity to "major" but did not press apply
Now operator 2 gets the dialog which you attached.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class
Thanks for taking the time to explain this Harald, that clarifies things a lot.

None of us ever really change the properties of a message (we only ever have one operator working on OMW at a time), so this must be the OMW server itself making these changes.

I've also just done a test like the scenario you described and as soon as I changed the severity, the pop up appeared on my colleagues' console.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a setting to automatically accept these changes?

Also, does anyone know why these messages seem to be much more frequent after the 7.5 to 8.1 upgrade?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Mac
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
This can also happen if it is integrated with some ticketing tool and/or annotations are added to the message
0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class
Thanks for the replies so far guys - points awarded.

Seriously, does no-one else have this problem? I know it's fairly minor, but it is annoying and, like I said earlier, I'm sure we never had this problem on OVOW 7.5.

I'd like to get it fixed, as it's the only real issue left after an otherwise smooth upgrade.

Cheers,

Mac
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fleet Admiral
Hello,

looks like the feature was introduced in OMW8.
The main reason for the behavior was that when an automatic action is executed it changes the annotation. In case you have the message properties open during that time you do not get the changes. And much worse overwrite it in case you changed something in parallel.

Could this be the reason for your "problem"? The message executes e.g. an automatic action, etc?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class
You could very well be right there, I'll test it on a message with an automated action.

I've done some more digging and checked an example policy the morning, the WINOSSPI-SysMon_DiskFullCheck. Our policy is set to poll every 15 minutes and, if the disk space is gradually filling up, this may change the reported free space figure in the message; hence the pop up. Makes sense...

Unless anyone has any further suggestions, I'm happy to accept this as a new 'feature' of OMW 8.1 😉

I'll leave the thread open, just in case someone stumbles across a registry or config file setting to auto-accept these changes. I'll post back if I find anything.

Thanks for all the helps guys.

Mac.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
We've seen the same thing in our installation of OMW8, and I cannot find any way of disabling it. Even though I've received numerous complaints, the best answer I've come up with is the standard "it's not a bug, it's a feature." I agree that it is really annoying, but there doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
This has been fixed in 9.0/Patch 90.
It should happen less often. If it still happens too often for you, you can configure in the Console Properties that it should always apply your changes.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Cadet 2nd Class
Thanks for the comments - I'm actually in the process of planning a fresh install of v9, so hopefully this will get rid of that annoying little box 😉
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.