Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OMi MP how install/cofigure a windows service on a monitored node

Hi,

Scenario: our monitoring solution requires that a custom windows service is running on the node. The service is our source for metrics - replacing it is out of the question (it uses different technologies and is too complex to be implemented in perl, for example). In the SPI the service was used as follows:

a) a configuration file (with a configuration tool - a GUI) was prepared on the server and deployed to the node (as par of instrumentation), the config contains credentials the service needs for normal operation (so it's able to log-in to the monitored application) and other settings

b) a tool on the server needed to be run to install the service (register it as a windows service)

c) after the service was up an running policies could call some simple binary that queried the service for data

Questions:

1) In the MP Evolution Guide I noticed that MPs differ from SPIs in that they don't have a configuration tool anymore and that all configuration is done using policy parameters. This is not exactly what I need - the parameters (for example username/password) will be used by the service - the policies don't need those (they need parameters like thresholds and like).  So where to put the needed parameters (on an aspect?) and how to get them to the service (note that after boot the service starts before OM Agent so it can't rely on it).

2) Need a way to update the service config file, if parameters change.

3) In OMi, is it possible to install the service automatically? Some dependency mechanism that would install the service when a policy/aspect is deployed?

I noticed that there's a ConfigFile policy type - is this the way to? I.e. assign the ConfigFile type policy to the needed CI and let the user modify the paramters (like username/password)? How are passwords stored/encrypted?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
0 Replies
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.