Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

OVPA (Performance Agent) And Normal Agent. How can we install OVPA in linux and Win environment

Need the diff between OVPA and Operation agent. And can someone help me with docs of installing and admin guide of OVPA. Can we get the Statistics to dashboards with OVPA ex: CPU, Mem performace?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS- This thread has been moved from Systems Management (OpenView-OP Mgmt) Support and News Forum to OV Performance Management Forum - Forum Moderator

---Rajesh
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

In the lame words ,

OVPA ( Performance Agent ) is the software which collects and stores the performance metrics ( like CPU , Memory , Filesystem etc .. ) , you can view the collected data in graph like format though the Performance Manager software ..

OA ( Operations Agent ) monitors the Server Metrics like CPU , Memory , Filesystem and send the Alerts to the Operations Manager ( HPOM ) , you should use the policies to set the threshold , say if CPU exceeds 90% utilization send the alert ..

In earlier version , 7.x and 8.x series , you need to install the OA for monitoring the server parameters and then install PA if you want to view the data ..

Going forward , 11.x Series , Both OA and PA are clubbed together into a single software as OA ..

Refer http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/manuals website for the manuals ..

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. -- Benjamin Franklin
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Thanks Vidyasagar,

I have OM Agent version 11.x, so here i wanted to know "What statistics does OVPA collect?  Can we get to them from the dashboard?" and can OVPA collect any performance data that we could use to generate reports/graphs? without Performance Manager software.

---Rajesh
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral

What statistics does OVPA collect?

>> Attached doc ( ovpa-metrics.txt ) contains the list of metrics which OVPA collects ..

Can we get to them from the dashboard? and can OVPA collect any performance data that we could use to generate reports/graphs? without Performance Manager software ?

>> Yes , with the OVPA you can collect any data in addition to what it collects ( You have to develop the class of your own using the Data Source Integration Technology , for more details refer the User Guide ) .. Also you can pull data without using the Performance Manager Software , there is an extract utility which helps you fetch the data ..

Below link would help you to fetch the data from the OVPA without using the Performance Manager :

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/OV-Performance-Management-Forum/How-to-extract-process-detail-from-OVPA-databases-when-cpu-util/m-p/5587143#M25284

I'm attaching the putty session log ( putty.log ) of the same once again , go through it ..

- Vidyasagar Machani -

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. -- Benjamin Franklin
Cadet 2nd Class

Thanks a lot for the info. I got what i was looking for.

Another thing can we get this kind of reports in graphical way?

---Rajesh
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral

Nope, for the graphical reports you need to use the Performance Manager ..

- Vidyasagar Machani -

0 Likes
Cadet 3rd Class Cadet 3rd Class
Cadet 3rd Class

HI Vidyasagar,

Could you please help me to get the information that how we can collect extra metrics from agent.

in my test servers I see that there are some extra agent processes i.e. "mweccolleng (extended collection engine)" are running and collecting metrics extra than global metrics.

I`m not sure how to pull this data in OVPM.

Can you please help.

Blow is the opcagt -status output from test server :

C:\Users\i363892>opcagt

dsilog (DSI logger) (2112) Running
dsilog (DSI logger) (2120) Running
dsilog (DSI logger) (2128) Running
dsisrv (DSI service) (1472) Running
midaemon (measurement interface) (1556) Running
misrv (measurement interface service) (1520) Running
perfalarm (Alarm generator) (1968) Running
perfalarmsrv (Alarm generator service) (1892) Running
scopent (data collector) (2596) Running
scopesrv (collector service) (2468) Running
perfd (Real Time Metric Access Daemon) (2204) Running
perfdsrv (Real Time Metric Access Service) (2160) Running
ttd (transaction tracking) (3012) Running
ttsrv (transaction tracking service) (2904) Running
mweccolleng (extended collection engine) (1804) Running
mweccolleng (extended collection engine) (1812) Running
mweccolleng (extended collection engine) (1832) Running
Mwecsrv (extended collection service) (1752) Running
coda OV Performance Core COREXT (4972) Running
opcacta OVO Action Agent AGENT,EA (4632) Running
opcle OVO Logfile Encapsulator AGENT,EA (5224) Running
opcmona OVO Monitor Agent AGENT,EA (5308) Running
opcmsga OVO Message Agent AGENT,EA (4584) Running
opcmsgi OVO Message Interceptor AGENT,EA (4704) Running
ovbbccb OV Communication Broker CORE (3292) Running
ovcd OV Control CORE (2344) Running
ovconfd OV Config and Deploy COREXT (2728) Running

Message Agent is not buffering.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Arihant,

The screenshot you attached shows a custom class of metrics: WINPERFREQUEST*.  I see there is dsi service is running in the opcagt status you have shared, which means that custom metrics are created using the DSI technology. Refer to the OA User Guide: https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM02892277

Note that the above doc is for OA 12.xx , download the appropriate manual based on the version of agent in your env.

Cheers,

Priya

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.