Admiral Admiral
Admiral

RTSM vs UCMDB

Jump to solution

Hello Community,

I have some conceptual questions in regard to RTSM vs UCMDB.

One can claim that RTSM is APM version of UCMDB and it provides similar fuctions as what UCMDB does. Therefore RTSM can be viewed as similar to UCMDB if not identical. And yet they are distinguished as different products that provide different functions.

Can someone please explain the major differences of these two products/fuctions and some usecases where these two can stand up indivisually in the same environment?

Is there any resources that explain clearly the difference between RTSM and UCMDB besides manual docs? Also, some clarification when to use both and when not to use both products at the same time.

Please let me know and much appreciated in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

First of all, RTSM is not a standalone product. You cannot buy just RTSM, it doesn't have any SKU. RTSM is an embedded UCMDB instance used by APM and OMi. Technically RTSM is UCMDB, i.e. exactly same technology. RTSM is just a fancy marketing term invented by HP marketing folks in 2010 with BSM 9.00 release.

That said, RTSM and UCMDB are designed for totally different use cases. RTSM is for monitoring/operations management use cases. UCMDB - for change/configuration management use cases. Hence, the differences in certain aspects such as capacity. You may check "The role of the RTSM" chapter in the RTSM Best Practices guide for more in-depth explanation of what RTSM (but not UCMDB) is for.

You use both UCMDB and RTSM (as part of APM or OMi) when you have both use cases (see above). Alternatively, you would also want to use both products in case you have multiple products (HPE and/or 3rd party ones) that will need to exchange topology between each other. In this case UCMDB acts as a main integration hub and set as a global ID generator for the entire solution that makes all other integrated products to "speak" the same language topology wise.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

First of all, RTSM is not a standalone product. You cannot buy just RTSM, it doesn't have any SKU. RTSM is an embedded UCMDB instance used by APM and OMi. Technically RTSM is UCMDB, i.e. exactly same technology. RTSM is just a fancy marketing term invented by HP marketing folks in 2010 with BSM 9.00 release.

That said, RTSM and UCMDB are designed for totally different use cases. RTSM is for monitoring/operations management use cases. UCMDB - for change/configuration management use cases. Hence, the differences in certain aspects such as capacity. You may check "The role of the RTSM" chapter in the RTSM Best Practices guide for more in-depth explanation of what RTSM (but not UCMDB) is for.

You use both UCMDB and RTSM (as part of APM or OMi) when you have both use cases (see above). Alternatively, you would also want to use both products in case you have multiple products (HPE and/or 3rd party ones) that will need to exchange topology between each other. In this case UCMDB acts as a main integration hub and set as a global ID generator for the entire solution that makes all other integrated products to "speak" the same language topology wise.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Hi,

Hope you are doing fine.

I am not able to login APM RTSM/ UCMDB using ucmdb windows local client, once i have login using admin admin credentials but now i cant login it. I am giving IP address Port 443 protocol HTTPS target environment CMS I can access OBM RTSM/UCMDB but it gives error while accessing APM RTSM/UCMDB. APM version is 9.50 OS Linux.

kindly help.

Regards

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.