Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Remote Deployment / Service Account

Jump to solution

Hi experts.. looking for some best practices here..

I would like to use the same account for remote Windows servers as the SiteScope service account (a domain user).  I assume that you must deploy a remote for various monitors, which I have been doing for some time (but using a different account).

My question is, in two parts:  1) are remotes required in a template if you are using the same account as the SiteScope service (domain account), and 2) if so, how can you just tell SiteScope to use that instead of having to maintain the login information in the remote's properties.

And then, a follow up question - the global setting of 'optionalSetupConnection' - how does that affect things if you only need it for a small amount of machines (I had never used it before, and SiS always seemed to work with the local account in a remote's properties, however i have noticed SiteScope will attempt to log in with the service's account first, then the remote's credentials without that global parameter set).

After a recent local account password change, a lot of strange things started to happen (see my other post), so I want to avoid that when the password is changed on the service accounts.  If SiS will just ignore the remote properties (or if i can skip remote deployment) it will be less of an issue.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..
If I got you right, you want to keep using -optionalSetupConnection - but you have servers in different domains/domainless and are not sure if that will break the connection?

"I will have some machines that are not domain members, so this is what I thought that perfex option was for. I assume I can put a different user (a local one) on those remotes (as I do for them now) - but then does the perfex option break those since it is a global parameter?"
This will work just fine - we do it like this also(for each other domain we have a set of different credentials and the remote gets created with the right ones).

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi LGentlile,

Regarding your question 1) are remotes required in a template if you are using the same account as the SiteScope service (domain account), and 2) if so, how can you just tell SiteScope to use that instead of having to maintain the login information in the remote's properties.

If you need  a lot of remote connection and you want to use the same account as the SiteScope service you will need to create a template with the host or IP and password, but you need to configure first your credentials in preferences> credential preferences in order to use it in the template.

Also you use optionalSetupConnection when SiteScope ignores the credentials for specific remotes and tries to run monitoring commands and actions for perfex-based monitors (such as CPU, Memory, and Windows monitors)using credentials that are used to start the SiteScope service, with this option helps to work correctly the perfex-based monitors.

Regards.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Thank you - but I think I am confused now.  I thought the perfex option for 'optionalSetupConnection' was for when you wanted to use the remote's configured credentials.

So, here's how I want to use most monitors, for domain members:

- Create stored credential (same as the SiteScope service - a domain user) (done)

- Configure remote in each template to use the service account (done)

- Add user to all remote servers (done - specifically the event log and performance monitor groups) (done)

- use (or not use) -optionalSetupConnection in perfex options (currently configured - remove??)

So, the only issue I have is the last item - the perfex option.  I will have some machines that are not domain members, so this is what I thought that perfex option was for.  I assume I can put a different user (a local one) on those remotes (as I do for them now) - but then does the perfex option break those since it is a global parameter?

Thanks.. i think i understand a little bit better - just need clarification on the perfex option (when you need it, when you don't).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..
If I got you right, you want to keep using -optionalSetupConnection - but you have servers in different domains/domainless and are not sure if that will break the connection?

"I will have some machines that are not domain members, so this is what I thought that perfex option was for. I assume I can put a different user (a local one) on those remotes (as I do for them now) - but then does the perfex option break those since it is a global parameter?"
This will work just fine - we do it like this also(for each other domain we have a set of different credentials and the remote gets created with the right ones).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Yeah, i hadn't used that parameter before, but when I started to have issues after an account password change, i decided i should try it.  I noticed that without it, SiteScope tries to log in with the service account first, then checks the remote's credentials (reducing performance and increasing network load).  So really, it looks like that option should be used for anything where the account is different.

So, I will now just create a workgroup template and use local admin on those for now, until I can update some of our build processes to include a local user, likely as you did.

I misunderstood RRRA's post, but I went back and read some other posts on this issue to understand the behavior fully.  In the past, when I set that parameter, it basically killed my instances.  I think it takes SiteScope some time to sort out changes like that.  It's been 2 weeks since i changed the account i mentioned earlier, and just last night, one of my instances started to behave normally.. very strange.

Thanks for your input.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.