Commodore
Commodore

Scheduled Task If Agent is Down Question

What happens to a scheduled task if an agent is down at the time the task is supposed to run? Will it run the next time the agent comes up or will it not run until the next time it is scheduled to run. Which would miss an interval of the job running?

0 Likes
6 Replies
Commodore
Commodore

Hello Jim,

I hope you’re having a great day,

Regarding your questions “What happens to a scheduled task if an agent is down at the time the task is supposed to run? ” and “Will it run the next time the agent comes up or will it not run until the next time it is scheduled to run. Which would miss an interval of the job running?”

If the agent is down, it does not collect any information because the communication between OMW and the node is broken, it depends of the schedule job in the policy but if the agent is down, it does not collect anything due that the agent is the way to communicate and collect information.

Any questions or doubts please let me know

Best Regards

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Is it possible to ask for an enhancement request that would include some kind of configuration variable that could detect this and run the scheduled job once the agent comes back online?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello there,

Assuming for a moment, the schedule runs at midnight, when the agent was down for whatever reason.  The agent is then restarted at 9am - would you want that schedule to work at 9am?  What happens if the agent is down for a week, should the scheduled action run 7 times?

You can log enhancement requests via SSO or talk to your support representative.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

That is why I am asking if configuration variables could be used to only turn this functionality on when needed and somekind of setting to only run once if down for more than one run instance etc. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

I can't find anything which looks appropriate.  Please contact your local HPE Software Support team and log an ER, OR log one directly in SSO.

The closest is which are not appropriate in this case is:

OPC_KILL_SCHEDULE [eaagt]
On Windows systems, processes started for scheduled actions from the action agent may hang. The action agent was designed to wait until the process finishes. Therefore more and more processes were started and were then blocked.

OPC_KILL_SCHEDULE_TIMEOUT [eaagt]
Defines the timeout period that is used to check whether an old process is killed or the new one not started.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Hello,

As I could see your requirement and some comments above, in case you want to raise an enhancement request, it is not easy to implement. In some scenario, your request becomes quite complex and the more clear requirement is, the more possibility this ER can be implemented.

Regards,

Minh Nguyen | SW Technical Support Engineer.
Operations Manager i and Operations Manager
Hewlett-Packard (SSO Portal)

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.