ALERT! The community will be read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Admiral
Admiral

Shell script validate OM agent from OM to OBM

Hi Folks,

Anyone can help me out create shell script to validate OM agent migrated from OM to OBM

Best Regards,
Tom
0 Likes
10 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

I'm not 100% sure what you require.  Would you be able to explain in a little more detail?  Do you just want to know the agent can connect to the OBM server?

CT.

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Of course my collegues and i build many of such scripts, but we are not allowed to share code here.

tools needed are bbcutil -ping to check if the agent or OBM server is available and certificates are correct.

use ovconfget to check that all names/IP of the old OMU sever are gone on the agent.

also you can send a testmessage with opcmsg and check in the OBM database if it arrived

check with ovcert -list and -certinfo if certifcates are correct, check the issuer of the certificates. in case you like to remove the trusted certificates of OMu from new OBM server take care that all certificates are issued by OBM server else you risk a black out of the agent.

with ovdeploy you can do a lot from OBM server, too.

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Hi CT,
I am looking shell script, Currently we have migrate our OM to OBM need to check status of the agent. Any script we have validating this migration.
Best Regards,
Tom
0 Likes
Commodore Commodore
Commodore

This has worked beautifully for me, before, during and after migrations of this kind, from OM to anything:

Operations Agent Health Analyzer and Alerting tool | ITOM Marketplace (microfocus.com)

Tags (4)
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Commodore Commodore
Commodore

Thanks. Yes, I did not mention the others, as they would be potentially not supported, although they may still work or WOULD still work. After all, the command opcagt still works and that's what they called OBM in 1994, Operations Center, and hence, the OpC messages we all still get, almost 30 years later.

OpC was created, just to consolidate NNM messages into a single-pane-of-glass (SPoG), the original manager-of-managers (MoM).

And, that's why OV (OpenView) is still mentioned in the Operations Agent (OA), just before the log directory for instance - /var/opt/OV, /etc/opt/OV and /opt/OV on Linux, for example. 

<\OVHistoryLesson>

PS: Health View - this should be removed from the OA media, unless the road map indicates it will be supported for anything other than HP Operations Manager (OM), which went EOL, but that can be confirmed by Micro Focus.

😉

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

OpC was originally called CSM.  CSM was created to help sell HP's 9000/3000 systems (and newly incorporated Apollo workstations) which were running HP-UX and MPE and we renamed to Operations Center just before it was released.  Over the years it's changed it's name several times and merged with BSM into the incredible solution we know and love today (at least I do!)

Healthview is part of OA12.  It is still released with 12.15 so it's still alive.  But, I agree that the road map isn't that clear.  I would also agree that it's not very OBM friendly in terms architecture (e.g. where to install it for HA nonfunctional) but it works and brings value which may be useful during a migration.

Tom, does this answer your question?

Commodore Commodore
Commodore

OMG, I just learned something new! Thanks!!!

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

@CheeseTriangle 

Great to know that there is at least  one person out there that "loves" this "incredible solution" called BSM. Thanks, you made my day! 😄

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

yeah - I really do!  It's got it's ups and downs sure, but I think it's really great!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.