(SiS) Support Tip : Disabled Monitor and zero Frequency
Disabled monitors are still registered to SiteScope's internal scheduler and consuming some resources around these internal tasks in the specified Frequency, e.g. 10 mins. By default we can see the outputs from the disabled monitors also in the daily log like below.
23:00:22 04/26/2016 disabled 203414425 CPU 10min disabled disabled manually 2:1 12 24 0
23:00:26 04/26/2016 good 203414425 CPU 10min 11% avg, cpu1 22%, cpu2 1% 1:9 11 22 1
23:10:22 04/26/2016 disabled 203414425 CPU 10min disabled disabled manually 2:1 12 24 0
23:10:25 04/26/2016 good 203414425 CPU 10min 13% avg, cpu1 27%, cpu2 0% 1:10 13 27 0
23:20:22 04/26/2016 disabled 203414425 CPU 10min disabled disabled manually 2:1 12 24 0
23:20:25 04/26/2016 good 203414425 CPU 10min 12% avg, cpu1 23%, cpu2 1% 1:11 12 23 1
Now in case of having a lot of disabled monitors which will not be likely re-enabled in future, it might be rather recommended to actually delete those unwanted monitors, maybe after taking the configuration backup.
If this could not be the choice, perhaps some customers may additionally want to configure Frequency: 0 (Days) so that those monitors won't be scheduled for this internal periodical checking besides it helps decreasing the size of daily logs around not-important disabled monitors.
[Monitor Run Settings]
Frequency: 0 Days
Perhaps a better solution, if HP can actualy see this is a non desired behavior, is to raise an ER itself, to have the scheduler only manage enabled monitors?! gasp. we constantly enable and disable monitors during change windows, scheduled downtimes etc.. deleting or modifying the monitor is not an acceptable solution.
Thank you very much for your comment.
However there is a historical reason here that disabled monitor need be checked periodically here to cover various different types of disabled scenarios/downtime. Again this is just a small tip and if you are not facing any performance issues in your usage, of course it's up to you to not agree with this immediate solution.
From time to time, we notice the cases that some of our customers keep hundreds/thousands of disabled monitors for many months.
Thanks for the tip. It may be useful in certain situations. However, it does not solve my problem of not automatically re-enabling monitors that were set to disabled outside of the maintenance window.
I need a better explanation of the use of the SiteScopeGetMonitorSnapshotsCommandLineUtil API call in order to obtain the monitor enabled status. I find the documentation of this call confusing (I am not a SOAP expert). It appears that you need to specifiy the item names that you DON'T want to be returned, but I am not sure I understood that correctly. If I only want the enabled status returned, does that mean I need to specify all other items in the call so that I don't get those values? What will be the format of the returned status?
Thanks to everyone for your help.
I'm not sure if I understand what you are trying to achieve, but for enabling disabling monitors / alerts have a look at the disableAlertEx, disableMonitorEx, or disableGroupFullPathEx API method to disable an alert, monitor, or group for a downtime period.
The method disableGroupFullPathEx, for example allow enabling/disabling all monitors under a specific group.
Since version 11.32 SiteScope provides a REST API which is easier to use than the SOAP based API.
I have no problem disabling the monitor and enabling it. The issue I have is that I don't want to re-enable a monitor if it was set to permanently disabled outside of the maintenance window script. In other words, I don't want to re-enable a monitor that is assigned to a regular maintenance schedule if a system admin wants this monitor disabled due to other reasons. Therefore, I need to check the enabled status of the monitor at the start time of the maintenance, before I disable it to check if it is already disabled. Checking this status is the part with which I am having trouble.
Thanks for your help.