Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

SiteScope Event Suppression in BSM

Jump to solution

Hi Expert,

I have SiteScope and BSM setup for Monitoring, and we have set the "Send Event" Option in SiteScope for all monitors, and its already deployed we have lots of servers and monitors and Configuring Alert for all the monitors is not possible, And we need to set the below Condition in BSM:

> When the same Events occur three times, need to send the Email from BSM on third times. And as we know that SiteScope is sending only one Event after Status Change if Alert is not configured.

How we can do this in BSM.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Binod

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

TBEA rules are actually pretty straight forward. create a new rule and also create a filter which will capture the events you would like to filter (for example create an advanced filter with the filter option "Application" set to SiteScope). basically you need to define a filter with a combination of criteria which will make sure to capture all events you would like to process with the TBEA rule.

once you have the filter you can setup the conditions. meaning what will happen if the filter condition has been true for about X minutes. on the next page you can then define the actions which will occure. that's about it

as a general input. you might want to look at service health "CI Status Alerts" as well. they might be an alternative to setting up notification on the event browser. but they require an understanding on how HIs and KPIs work. CI Status Alerts will give you additional flexibility though. not saying that this is the way to go for you. but it might be good to know an alternative

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

When event occurs three times or when the monitor returns Error for three times in a row?

As you said it yourself, it's not the same.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Dmitry,

I mean monitor returns Error for three times in row.

Thanks,

Regards,

Binod

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Then I can see 2 options here:

1.  Create a corresponding alert in SiteScope. Then either send an email directly from this alert, i.e. from SiteScope. Or (if you don't like easy solutions) send en event to BSM where you can configure sending email as part of the event processing, e.g. in EPI or in TBEA rule.

2. Without SiteScope alert, an event on the first failure will be sent to BSM. And as long as the monitor will remain in Error after 2 more runs (that is equal to X minutes), the event will remain open in the Event Browser in BSM. So you configure a TBEA rule to send an email if this happens (you would need to do it programmatically in the Groovy script invoked as the TBEA rule action).

Needleed to say that option #1 is more obvious and much easier. Option #2 requires quite advanced BSM/OMi knowledge and skills.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, My requiremnet is to send the Email Notification after X minutes for the Alert when it arrives to Event Browser and still it is in same state.

Can you please help me to provide some more details for this.

Note: In the Event Filtering windows, we have the option "Older than X minutes, can we use this option, I tried but its not working.

Thanks,

Regards,

Binod

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Expert,

Can you please provide some Implemented Scripts for Sending Email Notification using TBEA rule,

It's very urgent.

Thank you so much,

Regards,

Binod

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

hello

this is a pretty common requirement we see from a lot of customers. my recommendation would be the same as dmitry posted before.

- setup your sitescope monitors to trigger a sitescope alert. there you can build the logic you need (after three times) and create a dummy alert action like sound or whatever you like.

- set the default event mapping template which will be triggered in sitescope in a way, that it will send events on status change directly into the closed message browser in omi. this is only the case if you don't want to see the messages which will be sent on a status change. optional step

- setup your event processing rules in omi according to your requirements. if you only would like to send a mail message once the event from the sitescope alert has arrived in the event console, you can use a simple "Notification" in omi. or as described by dmitry you can implement more complex logics by using features like time based event automation (TBEA) for example.

if you simply like to send mails, there is no need for any custom script or TBEA rule. Simply go to Admin > Operations Management > Event Automation > Notifications

also you can look at "Event Forwarding" if you like to forward to a different system like for example XMatters

i hope this helps

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi tibornad,

Thanks for your time and more clarification.

I have multiple SiteScope (more than 5) and NNMi also, and its not possible to configure Alert for all the monitors its very time consuming because the system is already went live and we have more than 10 thousands Monitors running,

And as we have already BSM configured with SMTP, and already BSM  is configured to send the Email alert, but the problem we are facing is Critical alert is coming from Monitoring tools and it is sending email imidiately and after 1-2 min normal alert is coming and hence Critical is closing, so our Mailbox is getting full,

As you mentioned for the Admin->Ops MGMT -> Event Forwarding ->Notification, we dont have the option to configure the condition if the the Event is in Browser older than X min then send Email Notification.

So we want if some alert is Critical for more than 10 mins or 15mins, then it will send the Alert Noification from BSM, And in my scenario only TBEA rule is applying.

Can you please help me to configure the TBEA rule in BSM?

Thank you so much.

Regards,

Binod

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

TBEA rules are actually pretty straight forward. create a new rule and also create a filter which will capture the events you would like to filter (for example create an advanced filter with the filter option "Application" set to SiteScope). basically you need to define a filter with a combination of criteria which will make sure to capture all events you would like to process with the TBEA rule.

once you have the filter you can setup the conditions. meaning what will happen if the filter condition has been true for about X minutes. on the next page you can then define the actions which will occure. that's about it

as a general input. you might want to look at service health "CI Status Alerts" as well. they might be an alternative to setting up notification on the event browser. but they require an understanding on how HIs and KPIs work. CI Status Alerts will give you additional flexibility though. not saying that this is the way to go for you. but it might be good to know an alternative

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

Thanks again for you time and reply,

As you mentioned below Points:

Yes you are right, its staright forward to configure the TBEA rule, but in Action I can't see to Send the Email Notification option available OOB, What i understood is I have to configure the Groovy Script in Action tab to send the email Notification.

Do you have any Template for the same, It will great.

Thanks,

Regards,

Binod

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Similar situation here, but what I want is 3 times failure in SiteScope then generate a BSM event. I opened a thread for this feature and hope it can help if you want to do this way.

Thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.