Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

SiteScope question: Port Monitor, Check UDP port 123 for NTP?

Hi all

I'm trying to set up a SiteScope (9.50) Port Monitor to check for UDP port 123 which runs a NTP (Network Time Protocol) service.

Now i know that the port monitor check TCP ports per default. So i have setup a connection in the master.config file which points to UDP port 123 for NTP by adding the configuration as documented

_portMonitor=123 NTP UDP

So far so good. I can now choose the NTP/UDP entry in the drop down field from the monitor configuration and SiteScope is indeed sending UDP packets to the target host. We have checked the firewall log files and verified the connections between the SiteScope server and the target machine.

The problem is, that i'm always getting "time out reading" as result from the monitor being executed. Now i'm aware that i will not get NTP client functionality from SiteScope with a time value returned from the server. That's fine. I just want to see if the port is up on the target machine.

Any suggestions are very much welcome and points will be awarded. Thansk
Labels (2)
3 Replies
Highlighted
New Member.

Hi,

I think you can use a script monitor, with a command that requests a NTP replay from a server as a variable, for example, for Windows:
net time \\
Then, if the response contains: "The command completed successfully", it means that the port is up on the target machine.
You can also get the time on the target machine, by parsing the response.
For example:
Current time at \\ is H:M:S AM/PM.
I enabled the NTP port by using the command line:
net start w32Time
You can check that these ports are up for IPv4 & IPv6 By running the command line: â netstat â aâ , you should get:
UDP 0.0.0.0:123 *:*
UDP [::]:123 *:*
Then, I tried to run:
net time \\localhost
And got the response:
Current time at \\localhost is 5/19/2011 5:47:50 PM
The command completed successfully.

I hope it helps...
Emily
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thanks for the suggestion Emily

Actually i need to check the port on a wide range of devices like Unix servers, Cisco network devices and some dedicated radio clocks. So net time via RPC will not do the trick for me from what i just found out. But i am now using w32tm.exe on Windows which seems to work pretty well. So i am calling this from a Script Monitor and i am validating the return.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Btw. it seems like there is an enhancement request around to implement a NTP monitor in a future release.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Solved by using a script monitor and Windows executable.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.