Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Sitescope 11.23 Upgrade to 11.32

Hi All,

Reading the documentation, i would need to uninstall 11.23 and then install 11.30 and patch to 11.32

Prior to uninstall 11.23, i would need to export first the configuration and then import once 11.32 has been installed. Am I missing anything that needs to be done?

Isn't it possible to just install 11.30 on top of the current 11.23 so that all configurations can be retained without the need for import/export?

Thank you in advance

Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

>>>Isn't it possible to just install 11.30 on top of the current 11.23 so that all configurations can be retained without the need for import/export?

No, it's not possible, as 11.30 is not a patch on top of 11.2x, so no way you can avoid uninstalling 11.2x if you plan to run 11.32 on the same server.

Also I would highly recommend you reading "Upgrading SiteScope" chapter in the SiteScope 11.32 Deployment guide for exact steps needed to perform the upgrade. There you will also know that officially upgrade to 11.3x is supported from 11.13 or 11.24, not from 11.23 that you currently have.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Getting below error-not able to import

E:\SiteScope\bin>config_tool.bat
SiteScope architecture is64 OS architecture is64
set JAVA location to E:\SiteScope\java\bin\java.exe
ERROR - error importing configuration java.io.FileNotFoundException: E:\SiteScop
e\discovery\scripts (Access is denied)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: E:\SiteScope\discovery\scripts (Access is denied)

at com.mercury.sitescope.install.utils.UserDataMigrator.importData(UserD
ataMigrator.java:613)
        at com.mercury.sitescope.install.tasks.ImportTask.importFromFile(ImportT
ask.java:71)
        at com.mercury.sitescope.install.tasks.ImportTask.doAllPlatforms(ImportT
ask.java:34)
        at com.mercury.sitescope.install.tasks.SiteScopeInstallTask.execute(Site
ScopeInstallTask.java:18)
        at com.mercury.sitescope.install.tasks.ImportTask.execute(ImportTask.jav
a:136)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

I am currently going through this upgrade on a second server (First server is finally completed). Leeson learned from the first migration, there are a lot of little gotchas that can creep up that are not covered in the deployment guide. Be prepared with plenty of extra time to complete this task! The first server was painful and after several support tickets to HP support we finally got it done. Good luck.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Sadly I'm only seeing this post just now, I recently also went through the deep water of upgrading.
If anyone still has their update process ahead of themselves, here are some pointers(for a Windows based installation):
1) Verify/Migrate licenses
11.3x allows for migration of your point to OSI licenses
11.32 also allows for point licenses to be used, but to my knowledge you still need to migrate them from 11.2x to 11.3x licenses(Can't give you any details on that, we run OSI licenses).

If you are not sure what to do, or which model benefits you more - one of the easy ways is to just install a 11.3x sitescope and import your 11.2x config. Suspend the monitors and let it do the upgrade/license check(this will take a while) and then check how much consumption it shows in the license info/about dialog.

1.1) If you run integrations, specifically with BSM, verify that your BSM supports SiS 11.3x!

2) If you run an older install of 11.2x with tons of patches, older OS and whatnot - I personally STRONGLY suggest to install to a new server. 11.3x install process means to uninstall 11.2x - including ALL patches. We tried that twice, failed miserably to uninstall all of them. Also makes migration testing that much easier.

2.1) Let me put that out here as important note:
There is a bug/feature in 11.32 which increases your license consumption for Ping/Port Monitors when using the OSI licensing model. HP acknowledged this, it will be fixed in 11.33(whenever this is due). Should you opt to install 11.32 - I suggest to verify consumption in 11.31 first to see if it is fine. Open up the monitorcount.log, grab the numbers for Ping and PortMonitor, add them and then devide the sum by 10 (say 450 + 350 = 800 / 10 = 80). This is how much 11.32 should consume more than 11.31. If that exceeds your capacity, either don't upgrade or make sure that HP gives you the difference as emergency licenses for the time being. (Another reason you really want to do this upgrade on a new server rather than directly over your production machine)

3) What you need for installation is:
(Top of my head I don't know which is the suggested version to export from, we used 11.24 with the last IP)
HPSiteScope_11.30_setup.exe (The package containing it) (From the My Software page)
If you run an OA based integration, grab the 11.11+11.14 install files also from there.
SIS_00372 (11.31)
SIS_00390 (11.32)
SIS_00396 (11.32 IP)
There is a OA HF Patch for 11.14 - you want to grab that as well.

3.1) What you also might want to migrate
SQL drivers, MIB files

3.2) Reports / Logs
We did not migrate any logfiles for our servers, we however did migrate all reports (located in SiteScope/htdocs). If you have any need for either, you might want to do the same. I do not suggest to export Config Including logfiles - this will take years usually.

4) Installation
The installation from scratch is pretty straight forward - we exported the configs(without logs) from 11.24 and imported them into 11.32(without IP, but that should not matter). Note: Please make sure you know your admin password for the SIS - without licenses in the system user authentication will not work.

Also, once you have install SiS / OA - I suggest to reinstall the OA Policy Signing tool:
SiteScope\installation\components\oa_policy_signing_tool\
I've had this error with all my upgrades so far, you simply can't sign the policies when doing the integrations - and this fixes it(this should save you a bit of google and any cases)

4.1) Installation additions
What I strongly suggest, when setting up the new SIS, once you are done setting up the system, verfied that the empty installation starts and are ready to import for the first time. Stop the process, import the config, DO NOT START yet.
Open the groups/master.config find the _suspendMonitors= entry and edit it to _suspendMonitors=CHECKED . (This means the system won't attempt to run any monitors, its the checkbox in preferences/general/general settings/[X] Suspend all monitors). Also means it won't attempt to fire alerts and other stuff. After that start the SiS process and let it do the upgrade process for the config. Once the GUI is accessible, I suggest you remove any integrations you have and redo them.

4.2) Installation OA
This might come as a surprise, but 11.3x does not come with an OA installation anymore, thus you want to use the 11.14 package(I can't speak for support of any higher versions, I did not check at the time).
If you have the 11.11/11.14 package and the hotfix - then all you need to run is(as admin)
cscript oainstall.vbs -i -a
11.14 will automatically install ontop of 11.11 - and the hotfix can be run with the same command.

5) Verifying your installation
Now this is the part that of course is a bit tedious, but with a bit of a battle plan quite easily done:
Keep monitors suspended. Import license(from your licensing portal) or get an EM license from support, they can quickly provide you one usually.
Delete all your Alerts(In the 11.3x while it is non-production!) - you really do not want to trigger anything while checking.
(As pointed before, I suggest you do this without any integration active)
Unsuspend - and then let it do the work to find out if there are any problems left(no data/errors).

Hope this helps, specially if anyone else still has the upgrade process ahead of himself - HP could possibly sticky/weigh in on this some more.

regards

Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Thank you for your reply. How does that handle alerts that may be disabled before you Globally disable all alerts? In other words does it leave those alerts disabled that were disabled to begin with or when you go to re-enable alerts, does it globally turn all alerts back on?

0 Likes
Highlighted

To my knowledge the "Suspend all monitors" only applies to monitors and it is like a global ON/OFF switch. It essentially does the same as if you were to right click the root node and hit "Disable" - but it is much easier to undo(and you can do it from the config).
It does not apply to alerts directly to my knowledge(though none should trigger while monitors do not run), hence I deleted all alerts while the system is inactive.
As for the monitors, once you uncheck the "Suspend all monitors" option - the scheduler(which times the runs) will resume action and all monitors will run following their normal schedules. Disabled monitors will stay disabled.

hope that answers your question

0 Likes
Highlighted

In regards to:
2.1) Let me put that out here as important note:
There is a bug/feature in 11.32 which increases your license consumption for Ping/Port Monitors when using the OSI licensing model. HP acknowledged this, it will be fixed in 11.33(whenever this is due). Should you opt to install 11.32 - I suggest to verify consumption in 11.31 first to see if it is fine. Open up the monitorcount.log, grab the numbers for Ping and PortMonitor, add them and then devide the sum by 10 (say 450 + 350 = 800 / 10 = 80). This is how much 11.32 should consume more than 11.31. If that exceeds your capacity, either don't upgrade or make sure that HP gives you the difference as emergency licenses for the time being. (Another reason you really want to do this upgrade on a new server rather than directly over your production machine)

This IS fixed in 11.33 IP2 - under "normal" circumstances you should see a reduction in consumed licenses to 11.31 level now. If anyone from HP is keeping tabs - feel free to edit that KB entry also.

regards

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.