Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Strange OBM-internal SQL-queries towards the DB

Hi,

My customer's DB-admin is somewhat frustrated regarding what he assumes is a rather horrendous implementation of an heartbeat algorithm or similar. From the logs he maintains on the DB-server, he literally sees thousands of traces of the following;

The OBM DPS-servers (the primary DPS and backup DPS) regularly executes the following faulty SQL-query:

Test Server Connectivity

The MS SQL Server obviously doesn't understand this statement and therefore returns:

Incorrect syntax near 'Connectivity'

The above queries are carried out by the UCMDB (RTSM) SQL-client, towards the RTSM DB-instance.

Do you have any comments about this? I would very much appreciate it if some senior technician or advisor from Micro Focus could shed some light on this.

We currently run OBM 2019.05 classic on Windows, but we have seen this in previous versions as well.

Cheers,
Frank

3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hello Frank,

One of my customer uses a dedicated User to access the database. SO OBM Processes runs instead of local System with this user account,

But we found out that the Agent does some queries to the DB, too. E.g. OBM Self monitoring Policies. There seems to be a flaw that not the dedicated User is used but instead the "Hostname" of the OBM Server to access the DB.

Also calls of CLIs that query the OBM DB executed as actions by the agen tmay be affected by this and use wrong credentials.

Cant say if this is related to your issue but took us a while to find out. SOlution was to allow acces with computer account "Hostname". then all errors are gone.

Good Luck!

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your feedback! No, unfortunately I do not believe that those points are directly related to this particular issue, although they are very relevant when using using OBM with an external SQL server. At least when using Windows- instead of SQL-server authentication, and when using a dedicated AD-account for the OBM (and UCMDB) services.

We have previously provided RO-access to the DBs for the server AD-accounts for each of our OBM-servers, since the OAs apparently access the databases too, like you mention. To be honest (and fair towards MF), I do actually believe that the installation- or upgrade guide mentioned something about this requirement 🙂

Our issue now regards some very strange and illegal SQL "queries" being executed regularly from the UCMDB-instance of the DPS-servers.

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hi,

A little update regarding this; We even have dedicated UCMDB-servers in our environment. I therefore asked our DB-admin to have a look in the UCMDB-dedicated databases as well, and he confirms that the exact same problem applies there. So this strengthens (confirms...) my suspicion that UCMDB/RTSM is to blame for the DB-queries described above.

I hope that the MF developers will have a look into this without us having to create and follow up a support case on it, considering that it seems to be a very general problem.

Cheers,
Frank

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.