UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Commodore
Commodore

Topology Sync Shortcut in OMi 10

We are using the “Topology Sync Shortcut” Infrastructure default setting to map event to existing CIs. That means the HPOM Service ID  should be used to resolve the CI for incoming Events.

What has been working perfectly fine with BSM 9.24 is no longer working in OMi 10:

The Events are not mapped to the appropriate Application CI, but only to the node CI where the application is running.

I suspect that something has been changed in OMi 10, but I cannot find anything in the documentation.

We do see something really different in the Resolution Hints pane of Events in the two different OMi versions:

In BSM 9.24 we have only one hint and that is resolved successfully.

Matched Hints Count: 1of 1

In OMI 10 there are 5 hints and only 2 of them could be resolved.

Matched Hints Count: 2 of 5

Status: Sucess: Hint "<content  of the appropriate HPOM Service ID>" resolved

All the while, the entries in Related CI, ETI Resolution, Node and Source CI are exactly the same.

Any idea is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Martina

Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

can you share more details about your setup. Is the OMi10 integrated with OM and topo sync enabled? Also, do you have the application CIs in OMi10.  If yes, then please share the screen shot of the resolver hints tab in both 9.24 and 10.

Thanks,

Mamta

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Hello Mamta,

Thanks for your answer. I will gladly share our setup with you:

We are trying to monitor some DB2 servers directly from the OMi server with the help of the MA feature.

In order to do so, we have a discovery policy running that is sending information to the OMi server. There is is resolved with the help of topo sync which is enabled in both OMi 9.24 and OMi 10.

On both OMi servers we get a bunch of CIs just as expected.

When events come in that "belong" to those CIs, the relationship between CI and event in resolved on the OMi 9.24 server but not on the OMi 10 server.

Since the Topo sync and all the artifacts are identically on both servers (copied form 9.24 to 10, artifacts  with the help of a content pack vessel) we are stumped at what the reason might be. So maybe something has been changed in the CI resolution in OMi 10?

From what I read in the documentation, the CI should be determined from Application, Object and HP OM Service ID, unless there are CiHints set as CMAs in the policy sending the event. We have no CiHints, so the next Resolution strategy should be to use the Service ID together with Application, (here ="DB2") and Object, (here  =  HP OM Service ID). 

I will attach screenshots from both servers of the Resolver Hints for the same Event (different DB2 servers of course).

Any idea will be much appriciated!

Martina

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Martina,

Thanks for further details.

I still don't get the complete picture but i have some explanation for what you see.

Firstly, the toposync shortcut is a special mechanism to resolve events to CI when events with service ID come from OM (U/W/L) server. In the case of OM-OMi integration, if we enable the toposync between the two, then a table is created in OMi which maps the service id of the objects in OM to the corresponsing CI ID of the same object in OMi. so, for all events that come from OM and has a service ID, OMi tries to resolve the CI using this table. From your screen shot of 9.24, it seems that there is such a mapping table in 9.24 and OMi was able to resolve the CI using that table.  So, the question is did the topology in 9.24 come from OM server via topo-sync?

Now, in OMi10, it looks like there is no such mapping table meaning there was no topology integration of OMi with OM server. IF so, then when an event comes to OMi10, it uses the normal ci resolution alogorithm wherein, it tries to use all the hints that are available in the OM service ID and finds the best match based on that. This also explains why you see hint 1 of 1 matched in 9.24 while you see hints 2 of 5 matched in OMi10.

Let me know if this still does not explain what you see in your setup.

Thanks & Regards,

Mamta

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Hi Mamta,

We are talking about the Monitoring Automation feature in BSM/OMi where we don't need an OM in the whole picture. Neither my BSM 9.24 nor my OMi 10 servers have ever seen an OM server in their whole life 😉

We are getting the topology / discovery information directly from the agent via a discovery policy. The same way, our Events are created on the agent with some measurement threshold policies and are sent to BSM/OMi directly.

About the mapping tables you mentioned, that might be a clue: we have created  the following xml files:

attributemapping

contextmapping

typemapping

relationshipmapping

package

in the appropriate subfolder of /conf/opr/topology-sync/sync-packages and uploaded the sync package with opr-sdtool.bat.

Then we added the package in the Infrastructure Settings to make sure it will be used for topo sync.

The CI resolution for the discovery uses the topo sync package as we see, otherwise no CIs would be created at all.

But maybe the CI resolution for Events works differently and we need to create some kind of mapping table for the Event CI resolution?

Thanks  for you time and patience.

Best regards,

Martina

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.