URL monitors failing after update to SiS 2019.05
Just FYI in case others run into this.
After updating from SiS 2019.02 to 2019.05 on windows, our URL monitors started failing.
The update process had a glitch, which may have caused this problem (no time to dig further to know for sure). The config import step in the update seemed to work but SiS had issues after the update. We manually imported the config that we had manually exported before the update. SiS seemed to work after that. But we did have to manually copy our JDBC drivers back to SiteScope\WEB-INF\lib.
That was the "glitch" in the update. No idea if it caused the URL monitor problem but worth noting.
After that our URL monitors were failing with “no status in reply from server” error. We opened a ticket and support provided a fix.Turns out that the SiteScope\WEB-INF\classes\com folder was missing from our SiS server.
URL monitors operate as expected after the fix was installed.
Hi Gerald ,
Would be great if the case can be double check in order to determinate if the fix will be part of Sis releases as core behavior , I guest there're kind of logs where the support already found the root issue, that's why reopening the case is a good approach.
I had a similar situation, but it was not because my entire WEB-INF was missing. The folder was there, but I still had the same issue with the URLs. Support provided me with the attached file (Windows) to place the entire com folder inside SiteScope\WEB-INF\classes.
They also said this would be included in the next release, but not sure if that means the August or November release.