Captain
Captain

Upgrading from 8.07 to BSM 9.20 using same datasbase but different gateway/DPS Servers

Hello,

I want to upgrade from 8.07 to 9.20. I want to install BSM 9.20 Gateway and DPS on brand new windows 2008 servers and no longer use the current 8.04 windows 2003 servers. I want to use the same oracle database and database schemas and not use a new database. I do not see anywhere in the documentation on how to do this? Any recommendations?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If you are okay to use the same database server, but new database schemas (copies of the existing ones) the staging upgrade would fit your requirements.

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

I would prefer to not use new database schemas or any copies. I am not concerned with BSM downtime while doing this upgrade.
0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Because you plan to upgrade you GW/DPS server operating system, you MUST use the Staging method.

Because you must use the Staging method, you MUST make copies of your databases.

Because you're making copies of your databases, it's best practice to place them on a new database instance.  However, HP Support may be able to provide instructions on copying your databases (under new db names of course) to the same instance they reside now -- I imagine changes to the SESSIONS table will be required.  This is certainly not within any document.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

I received a update from HP support on this question and they stated that I can upgrade using the Direct Mode using different servers and connecting to the existing database schema. Of course I  am going to try this in my test environement and see if it really works.

Here is their reply:

"

Based on your last update, then it won’t be needed to copy the database information. You can perform the upgrade in your new Windows 2008 servers, as specified on the upgrade guide (you can use the Direct upgrade mode), and then run the configuration wizard to connect your new BSM instance to the existing database schemas.

Let me know if you have any other question."

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

If your GW and DPS servers change then you will have to update the sessions talbes before you can run the db connection wizard else your services might never come up as the GW and DPS server names are different.

Regards,

Nagendra Swamy. P

0 Likes
Captain
Captain

OK, Thanks. I believe I have seen directions related to sessions tables and renaming the servers.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

hi all

Iam also planning to go with the upgradation of BAC 8.07 to BSM 9.20

As per the upgrade Document the process is as below

1.uninstall 8.07

2. install 9.10

3. install latest patch of 9.10

4. run upgrade wizard

5. run pre upgrade

6.uninstall 9.1x

7.install 9.20

8. run upgrade wizard

if we are using new servers for GWS & DPS.

Can we follow below steps.

2. install 9.10

3. install latest patch of 9.10

4. run upgrade wizard

5. run pre upgrade

6.uninstall 9.1x

7.install 9.20

8. run upgrade wizard

pls Suggest

Regards

Vijay

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.