ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Commander
Commander

What is the max length or size of "msg_text" field that opcmsq can process / send in OA12.

Hello,

is there some limitation of max length / size of "msg_text" field that can be processed / send via opcms command towards OML9 using OA12 agent ?

Tried to find that info in docs - but failed.

Thank you

Tags (3)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I don't think the queue file will be the problem.  OBM is unlimited (I think).

How many chars can your command line support?  How many chars do you want to send?  

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Agent:12.14/opcmsgAPI isn't very helpful.  Same with https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Agent:12.14/opcmsg.  How many chars do you need?

CT.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

Remember also the setting [eaagt]OPC_MAX_MSG_LEN that limits the size of a message (this includes the event title, original text and various attributes). The default value of this setting is 1MB. See documentation at:

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Operations_Agent:12.14/ConfigurationVariablesMonitoringComponent 

But if you plan to send messages of this size, you should probably think about alternatives.

Regards,
Thierry.

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Admiral Admiral
Admiral

Hello @Marek Vyrva ,

I am interested to know what you were trying to achieve or what context is this question based out of.

And, yes - answer provided by @Rotax is quite to the point. You could use that.

Cheers,

Karthik Rao

Commander
Commander

Hello Karthik,

I do not remember exactly - it was most probably a solution we use that captures some events (I think from BizTalk application) from Windows Eventlog and create message / incidents where message text is de-facto copy of text field of Windows Event. And customer was complaining that message is cut - and they do not see important part of text...

@Rotax - Hi Thierry, thanks for your input and of course nice to see you again 😉

Thank you

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

Sorry, but I misunderstood the question. I thought you wanted to send a big event!

OPC_MAX_MSG_LEN would appear to work for most event fields except annotations.  So if have a big annotation it looks like it will all get sent over to the OBM server (I had a 10MB annotation which arrived in the OBM event DB).  

Conveniently the OBM console can only dispaly 100000 chars in it's annotation even though the data is sent to the server.  There is a reassuring message "Note: the annotation exceeds the display limit and was truncated".  But as mentioned the full annotation is stored in the database!

Typically windows event logs are not that large.

CT.

Commander
Commander

Hello CT,

so you seee I originally asked one and half year ago.
I do not exactly remember what was the issue that time, but usually we got some troubles to send long-long BizTalk messages.
And target manager was and still is OML 9.22.190.

Anyway thanks for help and valued explanation.

Appreciate it.

Best regards / Marek

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

A year ago! That's really funny!  I had the problem today.  LOL!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.